Culturally responsive standards-based teaching : classroom to community and back
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvi, 231 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LC1099.3 .C848 2011
- Unknown LC1099.3 .C848 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 221-224) and index.
- Preface List of Snapshots List of Tools Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching Learning From Students' Lives Culturally Responsive and Standards-Based Together Essential Elements Implementing Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching Continuum of Options and Opportunities for Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching 2. Taking Stock of Current Classroom Practices Finding Time and Resources 3. The Foundation for Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching Getting to Know Your Cultural Self Building Relationships With Students Connecting With Families and the Community Powerful Relationships Can Be Transformational 4. The Environment for Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching Incorporating Culturally Responsive Materials Into the Environment Engaging in Conversation 5. Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Curriculum Using Standards in Curriculum Planning Adding Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Practices to the Existing Curriculum Creating Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Lessons and Units Developing Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Projects Developing Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Interdisciplinary Activities 6. Assessment and Reflection Student Assessment Reflection Gathering Feedback From Families 7. Scaling Up: From Schoolwide to State-Level Efforts Whole-School Focus on Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching and Learning Effective Ongoing Professional Development Taking Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Efforts to the District Level Statewide Efforts 8. Teachers Learning and Growing With Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching Conclusion 9. Background Research and Theoretical Base Enhancing Engagement and Motivation in Learning Creating Academic Rigor and Challenging Curricula Improving Partnerships With Families and the Community Resources Glossary of Terms References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching" helps primary and secondary teachers increase student motivation and achievement, leading to higher levels of student success. The authors focus on how teachers can tap into the inherent knowledge and culture that every student brings into the classroom to complement a standards-based curriculum. The book includes detailed examples of what culturally responsive standards-based teaching (CRSBT) looks like in actual school settings and includes a number of self-assessment and school assessment inventories and tools for use in the classroom.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Steffen Saifer ... [et al.].
- A Joint Publication with Education Northwest.