Into the deep [videorecording] : America, whaling & the world
- English. Optional English SDH for the hearing impaired ; closed-captioned.
- Arlington, Va. : PBS Distribution, c2010.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (112 min.) : sd., col. w/ b&w seq. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Special features: Deleted scenes that take a closer look at whales, the history of Nantucket, and the whaling industry (ca. 23 min.) ; bonus reenactment footage, featuring whaling sea shanties being sung aboard the Charles W. Morgan (ca. 15 min.).
- The history of the American whaling industry, from its 17th-century origins in drift and shore whaling off the coast of New England and Cape Cod, through the golden age of deep ocean whaling, and on to its demise in the decades following the American Civil War.
- Whaling > United States > History.
- Nantucket (Mass.) > History.
- Essex (Whaleship)
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891.
- Whalers (Persons)
- Whaling masters.
- Whaling ships.
- Whaling in literature.
- Whaling stations.
- Whalers' writings, American.
- Whale oil.
- Whale oil > Law and legislation.
- Whaling > Environmental aspects.
- Publication date
- American Experience Films presents, A Steeplechase Films Production for American Experience ; WGBH Educational Foundation ; Series producer, Susan Bellows ; senior producer, Sharon Grimberg ; executive producer, Mark Samels ; producers, Bonnie Lafave, Mary Recine, Robin Espinola, Ric Burns ; written and directed by Ric Burns.
- Title Variation
- America, whaling & the world
- America, whaling and the world
- Originally produced in 2010.
- Production Credits
- Editor, Li-Shin Yu ; music, Brian Keane ; cinematography, Buddy Squires, Paul Goldsmith.
- Narrator, Willem Dafoe ; voices, Robert Sean Leonard, Josh Hamilton, Vincent Kartheiser, Callie Thorne, Philip Bosco.
- Not rated.
- DVD ; NTSC, Region 1 ; widescreen presentation ; 5.1 surround.
- Related Work
- Melville, Herman, 1819-1891. Moby Dick.
- American experience (Television program)
- Publisher Number
- AMX62208 PBS Distribution