- Uniform Title
- Metropolis (Motion picture : 1927)
- English. Silent film with English intertitles and music score.
- [Standard format], Two-disc special ed.
- New York : Kino International, 2010.
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (148 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Lang, Fritz, 1890-1976 Director
- Harbou, Thea von, 1888-1954 Author of screenplay
- Huppertz, Gottfried, 1887-1937. Composer
- Abel, Alfred, 1879-1937. Actor
- Helm, Brigitte, 1908-1996. Actor
- Fröhlich, Gustav. Actor
- Klein-Rogge, Rudolf Actor
- UFA (Firm)
- Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen.
- Arte (Firm)
- Kino International Corporation. Distributor
- Disc 1. [Feature film]
- disc 2. [Special features].
- In 2026, the rich rule over the poor, who live underground. One man tries to bridge the gap between the two classes. In July 2008 a complete 16mm copy of the film was discovered with an additional 25 minutes of lost footage that had not been seen since the film's premiere in 1927. In restoration, the text of the intertitles was taken from German censorship records and translated into English. Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung in co-operation with ZDF and ARTE supported the restoration, and the sci-fi epic was re-released in 2010.
- Release date
- Production date
- an UFA production, distributed by Parufamet ; director, Fritz Lang ; screenplay, Thea von Harbou.
- Title Variation
- Title on container: Complete Metropolis
- Based on the novel by Thea von Harbou.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1927.
- DVD release date: Nov. 16, 2010.
- Special features: original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin conducted by Frank Strobel, and presented in 5.1 stereo surround (disc 2): "Voyage to Metropolis, " a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film ; interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered ; 2010 re-release trailer.
- Production Credits
- Camera, Karl Freund, Günther Rittau ; music by Gottfried Huppertz.
- Alfred Abel, Brigette Helm, Gustav Fröhlich, Rudolf Klein-Rogge.
- DVD; 1.33:1, Dolby digital 5.1 or stereo.; NTSC.
- Publisher Number
- K690 Kino International