Handbook of chemicals and safety
- Dikshith, T. S. S., 1932-
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 513 p. ; 27 cm.
Safety Collection (non-circulating)
TP150 .S24 D54 2011
- In-library use TP150 .S24 D54 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Categorization of Chemical Substances Elements of Toxicology and Guidelines (or Principles of Toxicity and Safety) List of Chemical Substances Chemical Substances: Future Perspectives Glossary Appendices Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A host of chemical substances have become essential parts of human activities and requirements for societal development. Any kind of misuse and/or negligence in handling these substances can cause health disorders, poisoning, and fatalities among unprotected workers and members of the public exposed to contaminated food, water, and air. Carefully organized for ease of use, Handbook of Chemicals and Safety provides a tool for the management of a range of chemical substances commonly used, handled, stored, transported, and disposed of as wastes. Written in an accessible style with just the right amount of technical rigor, the book covers: General fundamentals and specific hazards and effects of chemical substances The basics of exposures and responses to chemical substances in the work environment Toxic responses in different body systems General perspective on the problem of chemical exposures and the possible health effects The author includes substances such as industrial solvents, pesticides, metals, air pollutants, toxic gases, drugs, and other items. He supplies the chemical abstract system (CAS) number, IUPAC name, molecular formula, synonyms and trade names, use and exposure, toxicity and health effects, and carcinogen factors. He also includes information on exposure limits, methods of proper storage, and waste disposal. An important reference on exposure to different categories of chemical substances, the book stresses the importance of preparedness in any safety program. Taking a broad and interdisciplinary approach to chemicals and workplace safety, it provides guidance on the judicious management of chemical substances.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- T.S.S. Dikshith.