Reading instruction for diverse classrooms : research-based, culturally responsive practice
LB1573 .M3917 2011
- Unknown LB1573 .M3917 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 275-292) and index.
- Reading Instruction for Diverse Populations. How Children Learn to Read. Children Who Struggle with Reading. Classroom Community and Discourse Practices in Research-Based, Culturally Responsive Classrooms. Word Study: Phonemic Awareness and Phonics. Fluency. Comprehension. More Comprehension Tools: Vocabulary and the Instructional Conversation. Writing. New Literacies. Research-Based, Culturally Responsive Reading Instruction in Second Grade. Research-Based, Culturally Responsive Reading Instruction in Fifth Grade. Family Involvement. What If My Students Still Need Help?: Effective Reading Interventions. Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This practical, teacher-friendly book provides indispensable guidance for implementing research-based reading instruction that is responsive to students' diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Structured around the "big five" core topics of an effective reading program-phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension-the book explains tried-and-true teaching strategies for fostering all students' achievement. Key topics include engaging diverse students in classroom discussion, involving families in learning, and assessing and teaching new literacies. Numerous classroom examples demonstrate a wide range of easy-to-implement lesson ideas and activities for students at different grade levels, including struggling learners. Issues specific to English language learners are woven throughout the chapters.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Ellen McIntyre, Nancy Hulan, Vicky Layne.
- Solving problems in the teaching of literacy