Encyclopedia of social movement media
- Los Angeles : SAGE Reference, c2011.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 602 p. ; 29 cm.
- Downing, John (John Derek Hall)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This one-volume encyclopedia features around 250 essays on the varied experiences of social movement media over the planet in the 20th and 21st centuries. Thematic essays address selected issues such as human rights media, indigenous peoples' media, and environmentalist media, and on key concepts widely used in the field such as alternative media, citizens' media, and community media. The Encyclopedia engages with all communication media: broadcasting, print, cinema, the Internet, popular song, street theatre, graffiti and dance. The entries are designed to be relatively brief with clear, accessible and current information. Students, researchers, media activists and others interested in this field will find this to be a valuable resource. Recommend this title to your library today! It includes key themes such as: Cinema, Television and Video; Concept and Topic Overviews; Cultural Contestations; Feminist Media; Gay and Lesbian Media; Human Rights Media; Independence Movement Media; Indigenous Peoples' Media; Information Policy Activism; Internet; Labor Media; News; Performance Art Media; Popular Song; Press; Radio; Social Movement Media; and, Regions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Alternative mass media > History > 20th century > Encyclopedias.
- Alternative mass media > History > 21st century > Encyclopedias.
- Mass media > Social aspects > History > 20th century > Encyclopedias.
- Mass media > Social aspects > History > 21st century > Encyclopedias.
- Mass media > Political aspects > History > 20th century > Encyclopedias.
- Mass media > Political aspects > History > 21st century > Encyclopedias.
- Social movements > History > 20th century > Encyclopedias.
- Social movements > History > 21st century > Encyclopedias.
- Publication date
- John D.H. Downing, editor.
- Title Variation
- Social movement media