Celebrating every learner : activities and strategies for creating a multiple intelligences classroom
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 320 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Jossey-Bass teacher.
LB1555 .C4 2010
- Unknown LB1555 .C4 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 303-305) and index.
- Acknowledgments v Foreword by Howard Gardner xiii Introduction by Thomas R. Hoerr 1 Part 1. The Multiple Intelligences CHAPTER 1 The Interpersonal Intelligence Web of the Interpersonal Intelligence 8 The Interpersonal Intelligence by Laurie Falk 9 Lesson Plans: Picture This! 12 The House We Built 15 Making Museums 16 Getting to Know You 18 Masai Jewelry 19 Rainforest Simulation 21 Gold Rush Inventions 27 Unfairness on Purpose: A Problem-Solving Mind-Set 29 Activities to Support the Interpersonal Intelligence 31 Identifying the Interpersonal Intelligence in Your Students 32 Children's Resources 36 Teachers' Resources 39 CHAPTER 2 The Intrapersonal Intelligence Web of the Intrapersonal Intelligence 42 Intrapersonal Is the Key to Success by Thomas R. Hoerr 43 Lesson Plans: Me Bags 48 I Am ... 50 Content of Their Character 51 Goal Setting 53 Autobiography: My Story 55 Letter to Myself 57 What I Believe 59 Simile for Me 61 Activities to Support the Intrapersonal Intelligence 65 Identifying the Intrapersonal Intelligence in Your Students 66 Children's Resources 68 Teachers' Resources 72 CHAPTER 3 The Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence Web of the Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence 76 The B-K Everyday by Pat Nuernberger, Tommi Rogers, and Lauren McKenna 77 Lesson Plans: Everybody's Moving 81 Express Yourself 83 Continental Twister 85 Sensing Our Bodies 86 Literature Live 88 Prepositional Charades 90 Disabilities Simulation 92 Living Museum 96 Activities to Support the Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence 99 Identifying the Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence in Your Students 100 Children's Resources 101 Teachers' Resources 103 CHAPTER 4 The Linguistic Intelligence Web of the Linguistic Intelligence 106 The Multiple Intelligences Library by Joe Corbett and Jessica Brod-Millner 107 Lesson Plans: Word Work 111 Poetry 113 Spanish Scavenger Hunt 115 Book Reports the MI Way 117 Sincerely Yours: Parts of a Letter 119 Living History 120 Extra, Extra, Read All About It 122 Literature Responses 124 Activities to Support the Linguistic Intelligence 126 Identifying the Linguistic Intelligence in Your Students 127 Children's Resources 130 Teachers' Resources 135 CHAPTER 5 The Logical-Mathematical Intelligence Web of the Logical-Mathematical Intelligence 138 The Logical-Mathematical Intelligence: Identifi cation and Implementation by Chanaya Jacobs and Claire Reinbold 139 Lesson Plans: Numbers 143 Measurement Drawing 146 Scaling the Miles 148 Mathematical Masterpieces 150 Civil War Mural and Timeline 154 Speed Demons 156 Everything and the Net 158 Restaurant Project 160 Activities to Support the Logical-Mathematical Intelligence 162 Identifying the Logical-Mathematical Intelligence in Your Students 163 Children's Resources 165 Teachers' Resources 169 CHAPTER 6 The Musical Intelligence Web of the Musical Intelligence 172 Minding the Music by Ben Griffi ths 173 Lesson Plans: Digestion in the Human Body 176 Caterpillars to Butterfl ies 178 Human Rhythm 180 Making Music 181 Poetry in Sounds 183 Literary Soundtrack 184 A Record of Time 186 Get the Beat 187 Activities to Support the Musical Intelligence 189 Identifying the Musical Intelligence in Your Students 190 Children's Resources 192 Teachers' Resources 195 CHAPTER 7 The Spatial Intelligence Web of the Spatial Intelligence 198 Spatial Intelligence: Through the Mind's Eye by Monette Gooch-Smith 199 Lesson Plans: Painting the O'Keeffe Way 203 Aurora Borealis 205 Dream On! Designing Your Ideal Room 207 Shrink Me 209 Self-Portrait: I See Me, You See Me 210 Native American Storyteller Dolls 212 Shadow Puppets 214 Colonial Portraits 216 Activities to Support the Spatial Intelligence 218 Identifying the Spatial Intelligence in Your Students 219 Children's Resources 221 Teachers' Resources 224 CHAPTER 8 The Naturalist Intelligence Web of the Naturalist Intelligence 226 MI, Science, and the Naturalist Intelligence by Eric Eskelsen 227 Lesson Plans: Shadows 233 A Closer Look at Trees 236 Pollination 237 Taping the Bison 239 Un-Natural Hike 240 Get It Done! 241 Mystery Photos 243 Sun Shines over Me 245 Activities to Support the Naturalist Intelligence 247 Identifying the Natural Intelligence in Your Students 248 Children's Resources 249 Teachers' Resources 252 Part 2. Putting It All Together with the Multiple Intelligences CHAPTER 9 Different Intelligences Are an Aspect of Diversity by Sheryl Reardon 257 CHAPTER 10 Learning Through Simulations by Susie Burge 261 CHAPTER 11 Assessing Through PEPs (Projects, Exhibitions, Presentations) by Julie Stevens 267 CHAPTER 12 Assessment at New City School by Pat Nuernberger 271 CHAPTER 13 Learning Centers in the Kindergarten Classroom by Mary Daly 281 CHAPTER 14 Genuine Understanding by Thomas R. Hoerr 285 Part 3. Multiple Intelligences, Parents, and Teachers CHAPTER 15 Communicating About MI by Betsy Blankenship 291 CHAPTER 16 Getting Started in the Classroom with MI by Christine Wallach 297 Bibliography 303 About the Authors 306 The New City School 312 Index 314.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Howard Gardner's groundbreaking theory applied for classroom use This important book offers a practical guide to understanding how Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences (MI) can be used in the classroom. Gardner identified eight different types of intelligence: linguistic, logical, spatial, musical, bodily-kinesthetic, naturalist, interpersonal, and intrapersonal. Celebrating Every Learner describes the characteristics of each type of intelligence and follows up with ready-to-use lesson plans and activities that teachers can use to incorporate MI in their pre-K through 6 classrooms. Offers a treasury of easily implemented activities for engaging all students' multiple intelligences, from the New City School, a leading elementary school at the forefront of MI education Provides ready-to-use lesson plans that teachers can use to incorporate MI in any elementary classroom Includes valuable essays on how and why to integrate MI in the classroom Hoerr is the author of a bi-monthly column for Educational Leadership as well as the editor of the "Intelligence Connections" e-newsletter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Thomas R. Hoerr ... [et al.] ; foreword by Howard Gardner.
- Jossey-Bass teacher
- "Previously published as Celebrating Multiple Intelligences: Teaching for Success."--T.p. verso.
- Related Work
- New City School (Saint Louis, Mo.). Celebrating multiple intelligences.