Facilitating group learning : strategies for success with diverse adult learners
LC5225 .L42 L35 2010
- Unknown LC5225 .L42 L35 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 271-277) and index.
- About the Author. Acknowledgments. 1. Introduction: Direct Education for Adult Learning Groups. Part I: The Learning Group and the Individual. 2. The Role of the Individual and the Group in Direct Education. 3. Harnessing the Power of Intention. 4. Strengthening the Container: Subgroups Join the Mix. 5. The Secret Life of Groups. Part II: Diversity, Difference, and Emotions in Group Learning. 6. Acknowledging Difference to Accelerate Learning. 7. Diversity and Conflict Styles. 8. Social Class and Diversity. 9. Authenticity, Emotion, and Learning. Part III: Designing Learning Experiences. 10. Structures for Organizing the Content. 11. Building on What the Learners Know. 12. The Art of Timing in Adding New Knowledge. 13. Sequencing for Maximum Impact. 14. Accountability in Direct Education. 15. Emergent Design: Facilitating the Here and Now. Part IV: Facilitation. 16. Setting the Tone and Building Safety. 17. Edgy Interventions to Accelerate Learning. 18. The Power of Framing. 19. Sensitivity in Cross-Cultural Issues. 20. The Drama of Transformational Work. 21. Conclusion: Bringing It All Together. Resources. Appendix A: The Sustainable Educator: Advocacy, Modesty, and Diversity of Gifts. Appendix B: The Sustainable Educator: Resilience and Revolution. Appendix C: For Further Reading. Appendix D: Tools and Resources for Direct Education. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book defines principles and techniques for teaching adults in groups and includes illustrative stories from the experiences of the author. It deals with issues of diversity, as well as authenticity and emotions in group learning. This book describes how to design effective learning experiences, and how to facilitate these learning experiences, and brings all the elements of the author's approach together. It also includes material on sustaining the educator, working with social movements, and an effective toolkit. This book is resource for facilitators of adults in group learning situations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- George Lakey.
- Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series