Language and literacy in the early years 0-7
- Whitehead, Marian R.
- 4th ed.
- Los Angeles : SAGE Publications, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 248 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB1139.5 .L35 W54 2010
- Unknown LB1139.5 .L35 W54 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 225-237) and index.
- PART ONE: LANGUAGE AND LEARNING Linguistics: The Study of Language Sociolinguistics: Language and Cultures Psycholinguistics: Early Language Acquisition Psycholinguistics: Language and Thinking The Early Years Practitioner and Knowledge about Language PART TWO: LITERACY Narrative and Storying Books and the World of Literature Early Representation and Emerging Writing The Early Years Practitioner and Literacy.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This fourth edition of "Language and Literacy in the Early Years" has been fully revised and updated to reflect current professional interests and the latest developments in the field. The book provides comprehensive coverage of issues in language, literacy and learning, focusing on the age range from birth to seven years. New material covers theory of mind, key persons, and social and emotional dimensions of learning. The author added material on difficulties with language development, phonics and new literacies. Key terms, further reading and a revised layout make the book accessible to students. The author emphasizes the joy and creativity involved in supporting young children's development as speakers, writers and readers. While taking account of current initiatives and programmes, the author supports flexible teaching methods in what is a complex teaching and learning process. The book is fully illustrated with examples and photos from early childhood settings. This book is essential reading for primary and early years students and practitioners in the field of language and literacy including nursery nurses, classroom assistants and foundation stage teachers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Marian Whitehead.