Barriers to learning : the case for integrated mental health services in schools
- Lean, Debra S. (Debra Susan)
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxii, 120 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB3430 .L43 2010
- Unknown LB3430 .L43 2010
- Colucci, Vincent A.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 103-118).
- Chapter 1 Foreword Chapter 2 Introduction Chapter 3 Prologue: ABC District School Board Chapter 4 Barriers to Learning Chapter 5 Biological-Psychological Barriers to Learning Chapter 6 Environmental-Circumstantial Based Barriers to Learning Chapter 7 Negative Outcomes of Inadequate Intervention for Barriers to Learning Chapter 8 Education and Mental Health System Reforms and Barriers to Learning Chapter 9 School System Responses to Barriers to Learning Chapter 10 Reduction, Management and Prevention of Barriers to Learning: The School-based Integrated Support Services Model (SISSM) Chapter 11 Epilogue: ABC District School Board Revisited Chapter 12 Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A key concern for educators, administrators, professional support services personnel, parents and policy makers are barriers to learning, particularly student mental health. Statistics reveal that up to 20 percent of children and youth have mental health issues and up to 80 percent do not receive proper intervention. Barriers to Learning enables readers to gain valuable insight into the challenges presented in classrooms today. This book presents a unique classification and review of various mental health and learning issues. The authors link current education and child and youth mental health reforms to make the case for improving services to address barriers to learning. This book includes a unique School-based Integrated Student Support Model (SISSM), which, within the context of exceptional school leadership and instruction, provides a framework for timely and evidence-based integrated and collaborative services to reduce, manage, and prevent barriers to learning for all students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Debra S. Lean and Vincent A. Colucci.