Education nation : six leading edges of innovation in our schools
- Chen, Milton.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxii, 296 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB2822.82 .C434 2010
- Unknown LB2822.82 .C434 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ACKNOWLEDGMENTS ix FOREWORD BY GEORGE LUCAS xi PREFACE: MY LEARNING JOURNEY: FROM THE LONGEST STREET IN THEWORLD TO A GALAXY LONG AGO AND FAR, FAR AWAY xv Introduction: The Vision of an Education Nation 1 1 The Thinking Edge: Getting Smarter About Learning 11 2 The Curriculum Edge: Real Learning and Authentic Assessment 35 3 The Technology Edge: PuttingModern Tools in Young Hands 87 4 The Time/Place Edge: Learning Any Time, Anywhere 139 5 The Co-Teaching Edge: Teachers, Experts, and Parents as Coeducators 189 6 The Youth Edge: Digital Learners Carrying Change in Their Pockets 213 AFTERWORD: TOMORROW'S EDGE, A 2020 VISION 241 NOTES 254 SELECTED WEB SITES 268 ABOUT THE AUTHOR 275 INDEX 277.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- An educational innovator who worked at Sesame Workshop and The George Lucas Educational Foundation offers a new vision for learning As a result of constant innovation, learning is no longer limited by traditional confines and we're moving beyond students tied to their chairs, desks, and textbooks-and teachers locked away in classrooms. In Education Nation author Milton Chen draws from extensive experience in media-from his work on Sesame Street in its nascent years to his role as executive director of the George Lucas Educational Foundation-to support a vision for a new world of learning. This book, in six chapters, explores the "edges" in education--the places where K-12 learning has already seen revolutionary changes through innovative reform and the use of technology. Examines ways in which learning can be revolutionized through innovative reform and the use of technology Explores the ever-expanding world of technology for breakthroughs in teaching and learning Includes many wonderful resources to support innovation in schools across the nation This important book offers a clear vision for tomorrow's classrooms that will enhance learning opportunities for all children.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Milton Chen ; foreword by George Lucas.