Medical treatise : manuscript fragment, 14th century
- Latin. In Latin.
- [Italy : s.n., 13--?]
- Physical description
- 1 bifolium, 305 x 198 mm (270 x 160 mm)
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
- In-library use M1782
- This fragment discusses, from a medical viewpoint, sexuality and voice, e.g. "si est uirtus pectoris fortis extrahens aerem subito fit uox magna" (if there is strong power in the chest, drawing out air suddenly, then there is a big voice/sound).
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Layout and script: a partial bifolium, double columns of 47 lines written in a rounded, large format, gothic script. In brown ink.
- Decoration: 2-line initials in red and blue with contrasting penwork, headlines in red L(iber) I.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch, 2010. Accession 2010-172.
- The headline Liber I suggests a substantial text.
- From the Rosenthal collection.