Layout and script: a complete leaf written in single columns of 19 lines, early gothic script, dark brown ink.
Decoration: Two large initials "G" (Gloriosa) and "B" (Beatus) with entwined leafy tendrils in red and pale blue.
Marginal crease from use as a flyleaf in a binding from Melk.
Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
St. Gall neumes written without staves.
Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 50), 2010. Accession 2010-167.
This leaf survived as a flyleaf in a volume from the Benedictine Abbey of Melk in lower Austria (founded 1089). In addition to the 17th- or 18th-century shelfmark "Monasterii Mellicensis J. 47" written and partly erased in the upper margin of the recto, an inscription "Isle liber pertinet ad Medlicum" has been written in the upper margin of the verso. [dealer description]