Missal, with neumes : manuscript fragment
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- Italy : circa 1150-1199.
- Physical description
- 1 bifolium., each leaf 325 x 235 mm (268 x 180 mm).
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
- In-library use M1792
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- "In the course of time, it came to be considered that the amount of information conveyed by each of these systems of neumes was insufficient .... First attempts at making the shape of the melody clearer involved placing the neumes at different heights on the page .... Further precision came with the addition of ruled lines to show the height of notes of particular pitches." [N. Bell, Music in medieval manuscripts, London, British Library, 2001, pp 24-25)
- Another bifolium from the same manuscript was Quaritch catalog 1315, number 66.
- Each leaf ruled with a hard point for 13 lines of text and music.
- Late Carolingian script, brown ink.
- Red initials and rubrics.
- Four small cut slits and some wear and staining from use as a binding.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 48), 2010. Accession 2010-182.
- Central Italian neumes, the F line drawn in red, the C line in yellow (faded).