Sacramentary, including part of the masses for the Vigil of St. Andrew (29 November), the Feast of St. Andrew (30 November) and the Feast of St. Lucy (13 December) : manuscript fragment
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- Latin. In Latin.
- [Germany or Austria : circa 1175]
- Physical description
- 1 leaf ; 228 x 216 mm (210 x 160 mm)
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
- In-library use M1790
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Single columns with 21 lines of text, romanesque script, dark brown ink.
- Large (4-line) initial "M" (Maiestatem) in a red leafy design with a purple outer border and partly filled with green and purple. The artist originally painted an "O" but realizing his error, added a stem to its right-hand side in order to transform the letter [dealer description].
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 44), 2010. Accession 2010-180.
- The Sacramentary, like the Missal which was expanded from it, was the principal book for the celebration of the mass in the early Middle Ages. It contained prayers for High mass only, and by the twelfth or thirteenth century was replaced by the more inclusive Missal.
- Other leaves from the same manuscript were Quaritch Catalog 1270, items 69 and 70.