Layout and script: A complete bifolium of consecutive leaves (continuous text) written in triple columns of 53 lines, ruled with plummet, gothic script, dark brown ink, red or blue initial letters for each entry, capitals touched with red, rubrics and line fillers.
Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
This bifolium was once part of the Chudleigh Bible, an illuminated manuscript probably produced in northern France but related to Parisian work. Entries Mesraym - Odura are arranged in alphabetical order.
Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 33), 2010. Accession 2010-164.
The alphabetical dictionary of Hebrew names became by the third decade of the 13th century a regular apparatus added to most copies of the Bible. Although once assumed to be the work of Remigius of Auxerre (10th century), the list was probably compiled between 1210 and 1220 by Stephen Langton, distinguished theologian, teacher at the University of Paris, and later Archbishop of Canterbury.