jump to search box

Bible, in Latin, interpretation of Hebrew names, the end of the letter 'S' and beginning of 'T' : manuscript fragment.

Availability

At the Library

  • Special Collections - Manuscript Collection
    Request at service desk
    1. M1768 must be paged/requested for in-library use only

Other libraries

Corporate Author:
Catholic Church.
Language:
Latin. In Latin.
Earliest possible date:
1330
Latest possible date:
1331
Imprint:
[Paris : circa 1330]
Format:
  • Book
  • 1 leaf, 288 x 198 mm (182 x 121 mm)
Note:
Script: a complete leaf written in 3 columns in gothic script, brown ink, 46 lines, and lightly ruled with brown ink. Decoration: On the recto a 5-line large illuminated initial letter "T" in red, orange, and blue, against a burnished gold ground, with a full-length bar border ending in ivy leaf finials. On the verso two smaller initial letters "T" with bar borders. Numerous small initials alternate in blue and gold, with ornamental line fillers.
Access:
Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
Source:
Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 11), 2010. Accession 2010-158.
Note:
The manuscript was produced by a distinguished Parisian workshop of the Pucelle circle possibly for Richard de Bury, author of Philobiblon, and it was almost certainly given to St. Albans Abbey by Michael de Mentmore who died of the Black Death in 1349. For an account of the manuscript and its history see the article by C. de Hamel in C. de Hamel and R.A. Linenthal (eds.), Fine Books and Book Collecting, Books and Manuscripts acquired from Alan G. Thomas... 1981, pp. 10-12. The Bible was preserved in its 16th-century St. Albans binding until shortly after 1964 when it passed through a sale at Sotheby's only partially described. It was then imperfect and many leaves were lacking their illumination which probably had been clipped away in the 19th century. The present leaf was probably removed from the manuscript at the same time and was subsequently in the collection formed by E.H. Dring (1864-1928), subsequently owned by E.M. Dring (1906-1990), and dispersed by Quaritch (see catalogue 1036, Bookhands of the Middle Ages part I, 1984, no. 76). It has a late 16th- early 17th-century English inscription "written hand" in the lower margin of the recto, further evidence of its early English provenance. [dealer description]
Provenance:
From an important Bible once in the medieval library of St. Albans Abbey; formerly in the collection of E.H. Dring and E.M. Dring.
Subjects:

powered by Blacklight
© Stanford University. Stanford, California 94305. (650) 725-1064. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Opt Out of Analytics
jump to top