Inclusion strategies for secondary classrooms : keys for struggling learners
- Gore, M. C.
- 2nd ed. - Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- x, 237 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LC4031 .G64 2010
- Unknown LC4031 .G64 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 199-228) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. The Letters Behind the Book No Child Left Behind Resopnse to Intervention Universal Design for Learning The Purpose of this Book A Note About People First Language 2. The Locks on the Doors to Learning The Locks on the Doors The Input Locks The Information Processing/Retention Locks The Affective Locks The Output Lock The Sum Total of the Locks 3. Keys to the Effectiveness of the Inclusion Strategies Dual Coding Theory and Tri-Coding of Information 4. Ensuring Students Understand Instructions Key 1: Gain Students' Attention with Attentional Cues Key 2: Providing Written and Oral Instructions Key 3: Repeat Instructions Key 4: Chunking Instructions Key 5: Tell-Backs and Show-Mes 5. Teaching the Concepts and Vocabulary of Our Disciplines Strategies Key 6: Taxonomic Fee Key 7: Semantic Feature Analysis Matrix Key 8: Compare and Contrast Vocabulary Mix Key 9: Typology Key 10: Word Analysis Diagram Key 11: Semantic Map Key 12: Quick Sketching a Definition Key 13: Total Physical Response and Vocabulary Drama Key 14: Keyword Mmemonic Strategy Key 15: Teaching Greek and Latin Morphemes Key 16: Vocabulary Word Card Ring Key 17: Vocabulary Word Wall Key 18: Learning Games Key 19: Peer Tutoring 6. Teaching Devices for Increasing Student Learning From Lectures Key 20: Simply Slowing Down Key 21: Pause Procedure Key 22: Cueing Critical Points Key 23: Explicitly Teaching the Big Ideas Key 24: Providing an Advance Organizer Key 25: Soliciting Students' Examples Key 26: Providing a Plethora of Examples Key 27: Providing Nonexamples Key 28: Teaching CSA/CRA Key 29: Role Playing Difficult Content 7. Increasing Learning by Using Note Taking Strategies Key 30: Teaching Abbreviations Key 31: Teach Summarizing Key 32: Partial Graphic Organizer Notes Key 33: Guided Notes Key 34: Strategic Notes Key 35: Brick and Mortar Notes Key 36: Three-Column Perzonalized Notes Key 37: Newspaper Notes 8. Promoting Student Learning From the Textbook Key 38: Using GOs to Make Relationships Explicit Key 39: Pre-Teaching Vocabulary Key 40: Explicitly Teaching Text Structure Key 41: Accessible Digital Textbooks 9. Increasing Learning by Using Textbook Guides Key 42: Main Idea Text Structure Study Guide Key 43: List Text Structure Study Guide Key 44: Order Text Structure Study Guide Key 45: Compare and Contrast Text Structure Study Guide Key 46: Cause and Effect Text Structure Study Guide Key 47: Problem Solution Study Guide Key 48: Analogy Study Guide 10. Promoting Factual Mastery Through Mnemonic Devices Key 49: Keyword Mmemonics with Narrative Chains Key 50: Musical Mmemonisc 11. Improving Higher-Order Thinking Skills Key 51: Storyboards Type 1 Key 52: Storyboards Type 2 Key 53: Flowcharts Key 54: Venn-Euler Diagram Key 55: Reasoning by Metaphor and Analogy Key 56: Compare and Contrast Matrix Key 57: Campfire Metaphor for Cause and Effect Key 58: Evaluation by Elimination by Aspects Matric Key 59: Evaluation by Addition Matrix 12. Improving the Quality of Expository Writing Key 60: Teaching Summarizing Key 61: Teaching Text Structure Key 62: Writing Frames Key 63: Using Rubrics Key 64: Data Revival Chart Key 65: Adapted Evaluation Matrices Key 66: Graphic Organizers for Expository Writing 13. Future Keys Future Key #1: fMRI-Supported Learning Strategies Future Key #2: Virtual Reality Future Key #3: Podcasting Future Key #4: Videogame-Based Learning Future Key#5: Videoconference Tutoring The Last Word References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This second edition of "Inclusion Strategies for Secondary Classrooms" helps teachers access specific findings that target students with disabilities in secondary classrooms. Providing a quick resource of research-supported strategies, M.C. Gore offers field-tested and teacher-friendly approaches to understanding the levels and stages of learning for students with disabilities. An updated revision of the bestselling book "Successful Inclusion Strategies for Secondary and Middle School Teachers", this book: addresses the reauthorization of IDEA 2004 and the full impact of NCLB on special education; highlights how the strategies in this book can be incorporated in all levels of RTI; and, includes expanded discussion of Universal Design for Learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- M.C. Gore.
- Rev. ed. of: Successful inclusion strategies for secondary and middle school teachers. c2004.
- Related Work
- Gore, M. C. Successful inclusion strategies for secondary and middle school teachers.