Outdoor learning in the early years : management and innovation
- Bilton, Helen.
- 3rd ed.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 255 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1047 .B498 2010
- Unknown LB1047 .B498 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 232-245) and index.
- Acknowledgements Introduction Part 1: Putting Outside into Perspective 1. The Benefits of Outdoor Learning 2. The Environment for Teaching and Learning 3. Historical and International Context Part 2: Making it Work 4. Guiding Principles for Outdoor Teaching and Learning 5. Learning Experiences/Bays 6. Children Using the Outdoor Environment 7. The Role of the Adult Part 3: Making Changes 8. Developing Outdoor Provision Epilogue Part 4: Further Information Contacts and Resources Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Now in its third edition, Outdoor Learning in the Early Years is the complete guide to creating effective outdoor environments for young children's learning. Comprehensively revised and updated throughout, this book covers every aspect of working outdoors in the early years and fully explains the importance of outdoor play to children's development. Key topics covered include: how to manage and set up the outdoor area what children gain from being outside how to allow children to take managed risks making sense of work and play how outdoor provision helps children become self regulatory providing for both boys and girls in the outdoor environment research supporting the outdoor approach. A book for practitioners at every level of their career; each chapter includes discussions and questions for continuing development that can easily be incorporated into INSET as well as training within further or higher education. Outdoor Learning in the Early Years contains a multitude of ideas and activities for working outdoors in the early years and provides a framework within which professionals can analyse and develop their outdoor provision and environment. This book is essential reading for all EYFS and Key Stage 1 practitioners, and for trainee teachers, their tutors, and mentors.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Bilton, Helen. Outdoor play in the early years.
- Publication date
- Helen Bilton.
- "A David Fulton Book"--Cover.
- Previous ed. published as: Outdoor play in the early years. David Fulton Publishers, 2002.