Asian perspectives on teacher education
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 182 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1727 .A69 A85 2010
- Unknown LB1727 .A69 A85 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction Suzuki Shin'ichi (Saitama-ken, Japan) 2. Teachers' Role in the Transition and Transmission of Culture Yuri Ishii (Faculty of Education, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi, Japan) & Mari Shiobara (Music Education, Tokyo Gakugei University, Tokyo, Japan) 3. Alternate routes in initial teacher education: a critical review of the research and policy implications for Hong Kong Kwok Chan Lai & David Grossman (Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China) 4. Teacher Education in a global context: Towards a Defensible Theory of Teacher Education Richard Bates (Faculty of Education, Deakin University, Victoria, Australia) 5. Educators in American Online Universities: Understanding the Corporate Influence on Higher Education Miki Yoshimura (Graduate School of Education, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, USA) 6. Developing a "Feedback Cycle" in Teacher Training: Local Networking in English Education at Keiwa College Joy Williams, Akiko Shibanuma, Yoko Matsuzaki, Aiko Kanayama, & Atsumi Ito (Department of English and Communication, Keiwa College, Niigata, Japan) 7. Gender inequality among Japanese high school teachers: Women teachers' resistance to gender bias in occupational culture Tomonmi Miyajima (Human Development Unit, The World Bank, Middle East and North Africa Region, Washington DC, USA) 8. Teacher Induction Across The Pacific: A Comparative Study Of Canada And Japan Edward R. Howe (Utsunomiya University, Utsunomiya, Japan) 9. Reform of Teacher Education in China Xiaoguang Shi (Institute for Higher Education Studies, Peking University, Beijing, People's Republic of China) and Peter Englert (Centre for Chinese Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, USA) 10. Early Childhood Teacher Education in China Jiaxiong Zhu (Department of Early Childhood Education, East China Normal University, Shanghai, People's Republic of China) 11. English Education and Teacher Education in South Korea Seongja Jo (Graduate School of Education, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan and Taerang Middle School, Seoul, Korea) 12. Development of Primary English Education and Teacher Training in Korea Shiga Mikio (Center for International Programme and Exchange, University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan) 13. Educational Reform and Teacher Education in Vietnam Takashi Hamono (Ochanomizu University, Tokyo Japan) Afterword Shin'ichi Suzuki (Saitama-ken, Japan).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Research into teacher education is dominated by Anglophone literature, with the inevitable result that teacher education in non-English speaking regions of the world largely remains unexamined. This book fills the gap in the existing literature and comprises twelve invited contributions from an international panel of educationists. To provide the reader with a clear structure, the book offers a detailed introduction and afterword which brings together the various themes examined in each chapter. The contributions offer perspectives on teacher education in the Asian region, perspectives which, until now, have been missing from contemporary debate on teacher education. Presenting research from Australia, Japan, the USA, the People's Republic of China, the Republic of Korea and Vietnam, this book examines the varied situations teacher educators experience in their own countries; in so doing the researchers identify resonances and dissonances in comparison with the dominant Anglophone research literature on the same subjects. This book is an important contribution to the comparative study of teacher education in the first decade of the twenty-first century, giving a voice to an important sector of the international community of teacher educators. This book was published as a special issue of Journal of Education for Teaching: International research and pedagogy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Shin'ichi Suzuki and Edward R. Howe.
- "This book was published as a special issue of Journal of education for teaching: international research and pedagogy"--Prelim. p.
- Related Work
- Journal of education for teaching.