Manual of industrial microbiology and biotechnology
- 3rd ed. - Washington, DC : ASM Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 766 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
QR53 .M33 2010
- Unknown QR53 .M33 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Table of Contents SECTION I: Isolation and Screening for Secondary Metabolites Section Editor, A. T. Bull-- Volume Editor, J. E. Davies Isolation 1. New Approaches to Microbial Isolation Slava S. Epstein, Kim Lewis, Dominica Nichols, and Ekaterina Gavrish 2. Selective Isolation of Actinobacteria Michael Goodfellow Identity / Dereplication 3. Taxonomic Characterization of Prokaryotic Microorganisms Giovanna E. Felis, Sandra Torriani, Johan E. T. van Hylckama Vlieg, and Aharon Oren Screening 4. Enzymes from Extreme Environments Don A. Cowan, Bronwyn M. Kirby, Tracy L. Meiring, Manuel Ferrer, Maria-Eugenia Guazzaroni, Olga V. Golyshina, and Peter N. Golyshin 5. Cell-Based Screening Methods for Anti-Infective Compounds Stefano Donadio and Margherita Sosio 6. Metabolomics for the Discovery of Novel Compounds Jens C. Frisvad 7. Methods To Access Silent Biosynthetic Pathways Robert H. Cichewicz, Jon C. Henrikson, Xiaoru Wang, and Katie M. Branscum-Kirby SECTION II: Fermentation and Cell Culture Section Editor, P. Masurekar-- Volume Editor, A. L. Demain 8. Miniaturization of Fermentations Wouter Duetz, Matthew Chase, and Gerald Bills 9. Solid-Phase Fermentation: Aerobic and Anaerobic Ramunas Bigelis 10. Bacterial Cultivation for Production of Proteins and Other Biological Products Joseph Shiloach and Ursula Rinas 11. Heterologous Protein Expression in Yeasts and Filamentous Fungi Ningyan Zhang and Zhiqiang An 12. Mammalian Cell Culture for Biopharmaceutical Production Jinyou Zhang 13. Manufacture of Mammalian Cell Biopharmaceuticals Jinyou Zhang 14. Plant Cell Culture Nancy L. Paiva 15. Insect Cell Culture Spiros N. Agathos SECTION III: Genetics, Strain Improvement, and Recombinant Proteins Section Editor, C. D. Reeves-- Volume Editor, R. H. Baltz 16. Genetic Engineering of Corynebacteria Masato Ikeda and Seiki Takeno 17. Genetic Manipulation of Clostridium Marite Bradshaw and Eric A. Johnson 18. Genetic Manipulation of Myxobacteria Wesley P. Black, Bryan Julien, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Zhaomin Yang 19. Strain Improvement of Escherichia coli To Enhance Recombinant Protein Production Michael E. Pyne, Karan S. Sukhija, and C. Perry Chou 20. Genetic Engineering Tools for Saccharomyces cerevisiae Verena Siewers, Uffe, H. Mortensen, and Jens Nielsen 21. Protein Expression in Nonconventional Yeasts Thomas W. Jeffries and James M. Cregg 22. Genetics, Genetic Manipulation, and Approaches to Strain Improvement of Filamentous Fungi Vera Meyer, Arthur F. J. Ram, and Peter J. Punt 23. Genetic Manipulations of Mammalian Cells for Protein Expression Anne Kantardjieff, Gargi Seth, Scott McIvor, and Wei-Shou Hu SECTION IV: Genetic Engineering of Secondary Metabolite Synthesis Section Editor, L. Katz-- Volume Editor, R. H. Baltz 24. Glycosylation of Secondary Metabolites To Produce Novel Compounds Andreas Bechthold and Katharina Probst 25. Metabolic Engineering of Escherichia coli for the Production of a Precursor to Artemisinin, an Antimalarial Drug Christopher J. Petzold and Jay D. Keasling 26. Heterologous Production of Polyketides in Streptomyces coelicolor and Escherichia coli James T. Kealey 27. Genetic Engineering of Acidic Lipopeptide Antibiotics Richard H. Baltz, Kien T. Nguyen, and Dylan C. Alexander 28. Genetic Engineering To Regulate Production of Secondary Metabolites in Streptomyces Susan E. Jensen 29. Genetic Engineering of Myxobacterial Natural Product Biosynthetic Genes Bryan Julien and Eduardo Rodriguez SECTION V: Industrial Enzymes, Biocatalysis, and Enzyme Evolution Section Editor, H. Zhao-- Volume Editor, J. E. Davies 30. Tools for Enzyme Discovery Yasuhisa Asano 31. Enzyme Engineering: Combining Computational Approaches with Directed Evolution Louis A. Clark 32. Enzyme Engineering by Directed Evolution Manfred T. Reetz 33. Industrial Applications of Enzymes as Catalysts Nikhil U. Nair, Weng Lin Tang, Dawn Eriksen, and Huimin Zhao 34. Biomass-Converting Enzymes and Their Bioenergy Applications Feng Xu 35. The Use of Enzymes for Non-Aqueous Organic Transformations Elton P. Hudson, Michael J. Liszka, and Douglas S. Clark 36. Enzyme Promiscuity and Evolution of New Protein Functions Bert van Loo and Florian Hollfelder 37. Enzyme Production in Escherichia coli Daniel J. Sayut, Pavan Kumar Reddy Kambam, William G. Herrick, and Lianhong Sun 38. Bioprocess Development Lutz Hilterhaus and Andreas Liese SECTION VI: Microbial Fuels (Biofuels) and Fine Chemicals Section Editor, L. R. Lynd-- Volume Editor, A. L. Demain 39. Accessing Microbial Communities for Solutions to Biofuels Production Carl Abulencia, Steve Wells, Kevin A. Gray, Martin Keller, and Joel A. Kreps 40. Micro-Algal Culture as a Feedstock for Bioenergy, Chemicals, and Nutrition Susan T. L. Harrison, Melinda J. Griffiths, Nicholas Langley, Caryn Vengadajellum, and Robert P. van Hille 41. Metabolic Engineering Strategies for Production of Commodity and Fine Chemicals: Escherichia coli as a Platform Organism Patrick C. Cirino 42. Improving the Microbial Robustness Using Systems Biology Jonathan R. Mielenz and David A. Hogsett 43. Bioethanol Production from Lignocellulosics: Some Process Considerations and Procedures Charles A. Abbas, Wu Li Bao, Kyle E. Beery, Pam Corrington, Consuelo Cruz, Lucas Loveless, Marty Sparks, and Kelli Trei 44. Surface Microbiology of Cellulolytic Bacteria Alexandru Dumitrache, Gideon M. Wolfaardt, and Lee R. Lynd 45. Physiological and Methodological Aspects of Cellulolytic Microbial Cultures Nicolai Panikov and Lee R. Lynd SECTION VII: Biological Engineering and Scale-Up of Industrial Processes Section Editor, B. Junker-- Volume Editor, A. L. Demain 46. Raw Materials Selection and Medium Development for Industrial Fermentation Processes Samun K. Dahod, Randolph Greasham, and Max Kennedy 47. Scale-Up of Microbial Fermentation Process Xiaoming Yang 48. Cell Culture Bioreactors: Controls, Measurements, and Scale-Down Model Wan-Seop Kim 49. Continuous Culture An-Ping Zeng and Jibin Sun 50. Advances in Sensor and Sampling Technologies in Fermentation and Mammalian Cell Culture Adeyma Y. Arroyo 51. Bioreactor Automation David Hopkins, Melissa St. Amand, and Jack Prior 52. Purification and Characterization of Proteins Ulrich Strych and Richard C. Willson.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A rich array of methods and discussions of productive microbial processes. Reviews of the newest techniques, approaches, and options in the use of microorganisms and other cell culture systems for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, industrial enzymes and proteins, foods and beverages, fuels and fine chemicals, and other products. Focuses on the latest advances and findings on the current state of the art and science and features a new section on the microbial production of biofuels and fine chemicals, as well as a stronger emphasis on mammalian cell culture methods. Covers new methods that enhance the capacity of microbes used for a wide range of purposes, from winemaking to pharmaceuticals to bioremediation, at volumes from micro- to industrial scale. This title is published by the American Society of Microbiology Press and distributed by Taylor and Francis in rest of world territories.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- editors in chief, Richard H. Baltz, Julian E. Davies, Arnold L. Demain ; editors, Alan T. Bull ... [et al.].