Driven by data : a practical guide to improve instruction
- Bambrick-Santoyo, Paul, 1972-
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxxviii, 298 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Library has: 1 v. + 1 CD-
LB1028.43 .B35 2010
- Library has: 1 v. + 1 CD-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -287) and index.
- Contents of the CD-ROM vii About the Author ix Acknowledgments xi Foreword xiii Preface xix Introduction: What Is This All About? xxi Data-Driven Success Stories Fort Worthingon Elementary School (Baltimore, Maryland) xxviii Williamsburg Collegiate Charter School (Brooklyn, New York) xxxv PART ONE The Framework 1 1 Assessment: Where's the Bar for Learning? 3 Data-Driven Success Stories Morrell Park Elementary/Middle School (Baltimore, Maryland) 4 Achievement First Bushwick Charter School (Brooklyn, New York) 14 North Star Academy Elementary School (Newark, New Jersey) 24 South Bronx Classical School (Bronx, New York) 30 2 Analysis: Diving Deep--What Happened and Why? 37 Data-Driven Success Stories North Star Academy Downtown Middle School (Newark, New Jersey) 39 Greater Newark Charter School (Newark, New Jersey) 51 Explore Charter School (Brooklyn, New York) 58 3 Action: Changing Teaching to Enhance Learning 69 Data-Driven Success Stories Thurgood Marshall Academy Charter High School (Washington, D.C.) 70 Capitol Heights Elementary School (Sacramento, California) 76 Monarch Academy (Oakland, California) 86 Dodge Academy (Chicago, Illinois) 94 True North Rochester Prep (Rochester, New York) 101 4 Culture: Creating Conditions for Success 105 Data-Driven Success Stories Chicago International Charter School (Chicago, Illinois) 108 Samuel J. Green Middle School (New Orleans, Louisiana) 116 Lanier and Riverview Middle Schools (Memphis, Tennessee) 122 5 Overcoming Obstacles: Frequently Asked Questions 127 Data-Driven Success Stories Kingsbury Middle School (Memphis, Tennessee) 130 E.L. Haynes Public Charter School (Washington, D.C.) 138 PART TWO Leading Professional Development on Data-Driven Instruction 145 6 Leading Professional Development: How Do You Make It Stick? 147 Data-Driven Success Story Holabird Academy (Baltimore, Maryland) 173 7 Framework: Professional Development Agendas and Activities 175 8 Assessment: Professional Development Agendas and Activities 185 9 Analysis: Professional Development Agendas and Activities 193 10 Action: Professional Development Agendas and Activities 213 11 Culture: Professional Development Agendas and Activities 225 12 Agenda for LeadershipWorkshop: Putting All the Pieces Together in a Comprehensive Workshop 235 Appendix: Highlights from the CD-ROM 241 Notes 281 Bibliography 285 Index 289 How to Use the CD-ROM 297.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Driven by Data offers valuable tips and general guidelines about data-based methods and the difficulties surrounding the implementation of data-driven instruction. Through a CD-ROM, this guidebook provides all the tools needed to launch data-driven instruction effectively, such as an implementation rubric, meeting agendas, calendars, assessment templates, and more. Written by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo, who has worked with over 1,000 schools across the nation, the book clearly shows how to maneuver through assessments and statistics. Bambrick-Santoyo offers vital tips, such as: how to create a data culture, how to run a successful data analysis meeting, how to write quality assessments, and how to deal with resistance from your teachers. The book also includes twenty case studies of high-performing schools. School leaders will find this resource useful for achieving remarkable results and immense gains, regardless of the school's background, leader, or demographic. Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Education > United States > Data processing > Case studies.
- Educational tests and measurements > United States > Case studies.
- Educational evaluation > United States > Case studies.
- School improvement programs > United States > Case studies.
- School management and organization > United States > Case studies.
- Publication date
- Paul Bambrick-Santoyo.