A companion to the philosophy of literature
- Chichester, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 552 p. ; 26 cm.
- Blackwell companions to philosophy; v.44
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors viii Acknowledgments xiii Introduction 1 Garry L. Hagberg and Walter Jost Part I Relations between Philosophy and Literature 5 1 Philosophy as Literature and More than Literature 7 Richard Shusterman 2 Philosophy and Literature: Friends of the Earth? 22 Roger A. Shiner 3 Philosophy and Literature -- and Rhetoric: Adventures in Polytopia 38 Walter Jost 4 Philosophy and/as/of Literature 52 Arthur C. Danto Part II Emotional Engagement and the Experience of Reading 69 5 Emotion and the Understanding of Narrative 71 Jenefer Robinson 6 Feeling Fictions 93 Roger Scruton 7 The Experience of Reading 106 Peter Kivy 8 Self-Defining Reading: Literature and the Constitution of Personhood 120 Garry L. Hagberg Part III Philosophy, Tragedy, and Literary Form 159 9 Tragedy and Philosophy 161 Anthony J. Cascardi 10 Iago's Elenchus: Shakespeare, Othello, and the Platonic Inheritance 174 M. W. Rowe 11 Catharsis 193 Jonathan Lear 12 Passion, Counter-Passion, Catharsis: Flaubert (and Beckett) on Feeling Nothing 218 Joshua Landy Part IV Literature and the Moral Life 239 13 Perceptive Equilibrium: Literary Theory and Ethical Theory 241 Martha C. Nussbaum 14 Henry James, Moral Philosophers, Moralism 268 Cora Diamond 15 Literature and the Idea of Morality 285 Eileen John 16 Styles of Self-Absorption 300 Daniel Brudney Part V Narrative and the Question of Literary Truth 329 17 Narration, Imitation, and Point of View 331 Gregory Currie 18 How and What We Can Learn from Fiction 350 Mitchell Green 19 Literature and Truth 367 Peter Lamarque 20 Truth in Poetry: Particulars and Universals 385 Richard Eldridge Part VI Intention and Biography in Criticism 399 21 Authorial Intention and the Varieties of Intentionalism 401 Paisley Livingston 22 Art as Techne, or, The Intentional Fallacy and the Unfinished Project of Formalism 420 Henry Staten 23 Biography in Literary Criticism 436 Stein Haugom Olsen 24 Getting Inside Heisenberg's Head 453 Ray Monk Part VII On Literary Language 465 25 Wittgenstein and Literary Language 467 Jon Cook and Rupert Read 26 Exemplification and Expression 491 Charles Altieri 27 At Play in the Fields of Metaphor 507 Ted Cohen 28 Macbeth Appalled 521 Stanley Cavell Index 541.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This monumental collection of new and recent essays from an international team of eminent scholars represents the best contemporary critical thinking relating to both literary and philosophical studies of literature. Helpfully groups essays into the field's main sub-categories, among them 'Relations Between Philosophy and Literature', 'Emotional Engagement and the Experience of Reading', 'Literature and the Moral Life', and 'Literary Language' Offers a combination of analytical precision and literary richness Represents an unparalleled work of reference for students and specialists alike, ideal for course use.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Garry L. Hagberg and Walter Jost.
- Blackwell companions to philosophy ; v.44