New perspectives in educational leadership : exploring social, political, and community contexts and meaning
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 322 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB2806 .N395 2010
- Unknown LB2806 .N395 2010
- Horsford, Sonya Douglass.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Fenwick W. English: Foreword - Sonya Douglass Horsford: Re-Imagining Educational Leadership: New Theoretical Perspectives and Contextual Considerations in the Field - Jeffrey S. Brooks/Mark T. Miles: Educational Leadership and the Shaping of School Culture: Classic Concepts and Cutting-Edge Possibilities - April L. Peters: Rethinking Transformational Leadership in Schools: The Influence of People, Place, and Process on Leadership Practice - Kathryn Bell McKenzie/Leslie Ann Locke: On Becoming a Leader for Educational Equity and Excellence: It Starts with Instruction - Bruce G. Barnett/Gary R. O'Mahony: Building Leadership Capacity to Improve Student Learning: The Practice and Power of Reflection - Patrice A. McClellan: Toward Critical Servant Leadership in Graduate Schools of Education: From Theoretical Construct to Social Justice Praxis - Wayne D. Lewis/Lance D. Fusarelli: Leading Schools in an Era of Change: Toward a New Culture of Accountability? - Enrique Aleman, Jr.: The Politics of Equity, Adequacy, and Educational Leadership in a (Post)Racial America - T. Elon Dancy II/Sonya Douglass Horsford: Considering the Social Context of School and Campus Communities: The Importance of Culturally Proficient Leadership - Camille Wilson Cooper: Educational Leaders as Cultural Workers: Engaging Families and School Communities through Transformative Leadership - Elizabeth Murakami-Ramalho: Educational Leadership in a Changing World: Preparing Students for Internationalization and Globalization through Advocacy Leadership - Gaetane Jean-Marie/Verna Ruffin/Kevin Burr: Leading across Boundaries: The Role of Community Schools and Cross-Boundary Leadership in School Reform - Camika Royal/James Earl Davis: Leaders of the New School: Exploring Teacher-Leadership and the Future of School Reform - C. Cryss Brunner/Karen Hammel/Michael D. Miller: Transforming Leadership Preparation for Social Justice: Dissatisfaction, Inspiration, and Rebirth - an Exemplar - George Theoharis: Yes We Can: Social Justice Principals Navigating Resistance to Create Excellent Schools - Linda C. Tillman: Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "New Perspectives in Educational Leadership" examines educational administration and leadership within the complex social, political, and community contexts that inform and influence the work of today's educational leaders. With particular attention to the implications and larger contexts of shifting demographics, high-stakes accountability, and globalization on schools and society in the twenty-first century, this volume seeks to advance lines of inquiry presented in other areas of education research, that have yet to be fully explored or imagined in the field of educational leadership. This unique blend of empirical, theoretical, and conceptual research by both established and emerging scholars in the field directly acknowledges and addresses the demands of leading increasingly diverse and complex school communities. Topics include: the social and cultural dynamics of leadership, reflective practice, politics of equity and adequacy, critical servant leadership, and the possibilities of transformative leadership within these dynamic educational contexts. As a primary or supplementary text in educational administration, leadership, and foundations courses, "New Perspectives in Educational Leadership" provides a much-needed complement to the traditional topics of instructional leadership and education management given the expanding and increasingly complex conditions that face educational administrators and school leaders today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Educational leadership.
- Publication date
- edited by Sonya Douglass Horsford ; foreword by Fenwick W. English ; conclusion by Linda C. Tillman.
- Education management : contexts, constituents, communities ; v. 1