Psychiatric disorders : current topics and interventions for educators
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin : NASP, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 165 p. ; 28 cm.
LB1051 .P7287 2010
- Unknown LB1051 .P7287 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 142-158) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments I. Neuropsychiatric Conditions Affecting Children 1. Developments in Neuropsychiatric Treatment: New Challenges and Old Problems - Paul C. McCabe, Steven R. Shaw Introduction Linking Neurotransmitters to Behavior Increasing Specificity of Medications Medication Side Effects (De-) Emphasis on Talk Therapies Future Directions References 2. Neurochemical Bases of Tourette Syndrome and Implications for Educators - Jason Collins, Paul C. McCabe Introduction Glossary Literature Review Prevalence and Epidemiology Clinical Phenomenology Comorbidity Neurochemical Bases Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Tourette Syndrome 3. Diagnosis and Treatment of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder - J. Elizabeth Chesno Grier, Megan L. Wilkins, Elizabeth Jeffords Introduction Glossary Literature Review Symptoms of bipolar Disorder Differential Diagnosis Interventions for Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Medical Management Psychosocial Interventions Conclusions Implications for Educators School-based Interventions Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Pediatric Bipolar Disorder 4. Parental Control Effects on Separation Anxiety Disorder in Children - Erica E. Levavi, Florence J. Schneider, Paul C. McCabe Introduction Glossary Literature Review Behavioral Control Parental Anxiety Parental Affection Discipline Psychological Control Cultural Differences Parental Factors Implications for Educators Prevention Intervention Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Interventions for Children with Separation Anxiety Disorder 5. Mood Disorders and Creativity - Sara Pollak-Kagan, Paul McCabe Introduction Glossary Literature Review Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Creativity Neurobiological and Genetic Model Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Use of Creative Mediums with Children and Adolescents with Mood Disorders II. Psychopharmacology 6. Atypical Antipsychotic Use in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Review for Educators - Steven R. Shaw, Tamara Dawkins Introduction Background The Effects of Atypical Antipsychotic on Symptoms of ASD Agression Hyperactivity Mood Cognition Side Effects Clozapine Olanzapine Risperidone Quetiapine Ziprasidone Conclusions Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Use of Atypical Antipsychotic Medication with Children and Adolescents 7. Tardive Dyskinesia with Typical and Atypical Antipsychotic Medications in Children and Adolescents - Daniel Farrell, Janine Fischer, Paul C. McCabe Introduction Background Symptoms and Prevalence Prevalence of TD Treatment of TD Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Quesitons Research Summary Handout-Tardive Dyskinesia 8. Recent Advances in the Medical Management of Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder - John S. Carlson, Angela Maupin, Tara Brinkman Introduction Background Psychostimulants Atomoxetine Novel and Alternative Medicines Conclusion Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Recent Advances in the Medical Management of ADHD 9. Polypharmacy Prescription Practices in School-Aged Populations: Challenges and Considerations - John S. Carlson Introduction Background Overview and Definitions Risks Associated with Polypharmacy Assumptions Associated with Polypharmacy Medication Use in School-aged Populations Medication Use within Vulnerable Populations Prevalence of Polypharmacy in Childhood Populations Cultural Considerations and Polypharmacy Interventions Combined Medication Approaches Monitoring Combined Medication Treatments Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout- Polypharmacy Prescription Practices in School-aged Populations 10. Educational Implications of Commonly Used Pediatric Medications - Larry M. Bolen, Michael B. Brown Introduction Background Medication Issues Non-specific Medication Side Effects Issues Specific to Medications for Treatment of Asthma Issues Specific to Medications for Pain and Fever Issues Specific to Medications for Cough and Colds Implications for Educators Assessment Intervention Advocacy and Education Conclusion Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout- Medication Effects in Children III. Diatary Control and Supplement Use 11. Dietary Modification in the Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders - Caryn R. Depinna, Paul C. McCabe Introduction Background The GFCF Diet Research Limitations Conclusion Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Dietary Modification: The Gluten-Free Casein-Free Diet 12. The Prevention and Intervention of Eating Disorders - Catherine Cook-Cottone Introduction Background Etiology Research Brief Neurological Findings Other Contributing Factors Prevention and Intervention Support Eating Disorder Prevention Practices and the Three Tiered Service Delivery Model Universal Prevention Targeted Prevention Identify At-risk Individuals Make Referrals/Be Aware of Resources Intervention Overview Implications for Educators School Reintegration Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Prevention and Intervention of Eating Disorders 13. Steroids in Adolescents: The Cost of Achieving the Physical Ideal - Sarita Gober, Paul McCabe Introduction Background Steroid Use and Effects Gender-specific Health Risks Physiological Health Risks Psychological and Behavioral Risks and Effects Withdrawal Prevalence of Steroid Use Reasons for Steroid Use Typology 1: Sports and Physical Performance Improvement Typology 2: Appearance Typology 3: Illicit Drug Use and Other Risky, Sensation-Seeking Behaviors Implications for Educators Educational Strategies Discussion Questions Research Summary Handout-Anabolic Steroid Use Among Adolescents Appendix Glossary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book exists for two primary reasons: the pressures on educators to address children's s medical issues in school settings and the rapid pace of news and information delivery, which often occurs despite safeguards for credibility and verifiability. Educators must make policy, differentiate instruction, provide educational accommodations, provide special education services, collaborate with families, and work with the community in response to children's s medical, physical, and psychological issues. However, educators often have little training, support, or information to address important pediatric issues. When faced with a medical question, many people turn to the Internet. Although much information from the Internet is high quality, much is not. This reference for school psychologists, counselors, administrators, and teachers is a concise and well-researched investigation into pediatric health issues. "Psychiatric Disorders" is divided into three sections: neuropsychiatric conditions affecting schoolchildren, psycho pharmacology, and dietary control and supplement use. The first section includes the psychiatric issues that receive the most media coverage and affect the most children and addresses the questions about psychiatric issues that educators often hear. These neuropsychiatric conditions include Tourette Disorder, bipolar/mood disorders, and separation anxiety disorder. The psycho pharmacology section discusses the use of atypical antipsychotics and autism, treating tardive dyskinesia in children, medical management of ADHD, polypharmacy prescription practice, and side effects of common health medications. The dietary control and supplement use section includes dietary treatments for autism, identification and treatment of eating disorders, and use of steroids in adolescence. Each chapter includes a literature review based on the latest and best scientific research, a case study, and parent handouts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Paul C. McCabe, Steven R. Shaw.
- "A joint publication."