Creating tomorrow's schools today : education - our children - their futures
- Gerver, Richard.
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 160 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LA632 .G47 2010
- Unknown LA632 .G47 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -[155) and index.
- Introduction-- Section One: The Problem-- Ch 1 - Education and the Changing World-- Ch 2 - Harnessing the Power of our Children-- Ch 3 - Making School Matter-- Ch 4 - The Positivity of Failure-- Ch 5 - Who Do We Create Our Schools For?-- Ch 6 - What Matters Most?-- Ch 7 - Challenging our Children-- Ch 8 - The World Beyond the Gate-- Ch 9 - The Industrial Model of Schooling-- Ch 10 - Are They Fit for the Future?-- Ch11 - Making School Magical!-- Ch12 - Breaking Down the Walls-- Ch 13 - The Way Forward-- Section Two: The Way it could Be-- Ch 14 - Creating The Vision-- Ch 15 - Developing the Whole Child-- Ch 16 - Beyond Subjects-- Ch 17 - The Grangeton Project-- Ch 18 - A Curriculum of all the Talents-- Ch 19 - Leading into the Unknown-- Glossary-- Acknowledgements.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Education is the platform for our success or failure. Is our system still fit for purpose? This fascinating study examines this and other key questions in the primary education environment. We live in a world dramatically different from the one we grew up in, the one we were educated in; a world that is changing at an accelerated rate. Education is the platform for our success or failure. The critical question is: is our system still fit for purpose? Will our children be equipped to face the challenges the future holds; the rapidly changing employment patterns and the global environmental, economic and social crises ahead of us? Or will our children grow up to resent their school years and blame them for their unfulfilled potential and achievement? "Leading Tomorrow's Schools Today" explores these questions in the context of early schooling, primary education, some of the most formative and important years of our children's lives. The book presents powerful arguments that suggest an imperative for change and will explore the possible strategies and thinking that can offer a solution. The author provides real context and concrete examples based on the incredible journey taken by one primary school, Grange. He shows how, by developing a creative and futures facing system, it not only evolved from being a school on the verge of failure to a school globally recognised for its success and innovation in two years but more importantly created a system that has equipped its children to be not only prepared for but confident in their futures.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Richard Gerver.