The whole building handbook : how to design healthy, efficient and sustainable buildings
UPDATE - Library closed July 25 - Sept. 9.
The Library will be closed during its relocation to the new McMurtry Building. Please check out Art materials prior to July 25.
NA2542.36 .B6513 2010
- Unknown NA2542.36 .B6513 2010
- Block, Maria.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction 1. Healthy Buildings 2. Conservation and Efficiency 3. Ecocycles 4. Place Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Whole Building Handbook" is a compendium of all the issues and strategies that architects need to understand to design and construct sustainable buildings for a sustainable society. The authors move beyond the current definition of sustainability in architecture, which tends to focus on energy-efficiency, to include guidance for architecture that promotes social cohesion, personal health, renewable energy sources, water and waste recycling systems, permaculture, energy conservation - and crucially, buildings in relation to their place. The authors offer a holistic approach to sustainable architecture and authoritative technical advice, on: how to design and construct healthy buildings, through choosing suitable materials, healthy service systems, and designing a healthy and comfortable indoor climate, including solutions for avoiding problems with moisture, radon and noise as well as how to facilitate cleaning and maintenance; how to design and construct buildings that use resources efficiently, where heating and cooling needs and electricity use is minimized and water-saving technologies and garbage recycling technologies are used; and, how to 'close' organic waste, sewage, heat and energy cycles. For example, how to design a sewage system that recycles nutrients. This book includes a section on adaptation of buildings to local conditions, looking at how a site must be studied with respect to nature, climate and community structure as well as human activities. The result is a comprehensive, thoroughly illustrated and carefully structured textbook and reference.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- Varis Bokalders and Maria Block.
- "Earthscan publishes in association with the International Institute for Environment and Development"--T.p. vero.
- "Earthscan works with RIBA Publishing, part of the Royal Institute of British Architects, to promote best practice and quality professional guidance on sustainable architecture"
- Originally published: Byggekologi. Stockholm : Svensk byggtjèanst, 2004.