Italy and 1968 : youthful unrest and democratic culture
- Hilwig, Stuart J., 1968-
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire [England] ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- x, 185 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LA797.7 .H55 2009
- Unknown LA797.7 .H55 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 170-178) and index.
- Preface List of Figures Introduction The Italian Student Revolts, 1967-68 The Case of Turin I: Defending the Ivory Tower The Case of Turin II: A City Reacts from Precinct to Parish The National Dimension I: Constructing an Image of Protest The National Dimension II: Italy's Politicians Confront the Issue of University Reform Conclusion: Revolution or Rebellion? Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- More than thirty years after the university upheavals of the late 1960s, people still line up on both sides of the barricades to debate the significance of the student revolts. Despite the large number of works on the 1968 uprisings, our understanding of this crucial period remains limited because scholars have focused almost exclusively on the role of students in these events. In this book, Stuart Hilwig brings a fresh perspective to the 1960s, venturing beyond the campus to chart the public response to Italy's student rebellion. Using an innovative blend of oral interviews, media analysis, and archival evidence, the reader encounters a world of professors, police, clergy, concerned parents, town fathers, lawyers, auto workers and journalists. These people all interacted with and helped to shape the actions and views of student rebels during the course of one of the twentieth century's most important movements.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Student movements > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Protest movements > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Student protesters > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Education, Higher > Political aspects > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Education, Higher > Social aspects > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Politics and culture > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Democracy > Italy > History > 20th century.
- Italy > Politics and government > 1945-1976.
- Italy > Social conditions > 1945-1976.
- Publication date
- Stuart J. Hilwig.