Keys to the secondary classroom : a teacher's guide to the first months of school
- Bongolan, Rain.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin : New Teacher Center, 2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 270 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
LB1737 .U6 B66 2010
- Unknown LB1737 .U6 B66 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-264) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. The Adolescent Learner: Key Questions About Adolescents and "Win-Win" Teacher Responses 2. The Nuts and Bolts of Getting Started 3. Rules, Routines, and Procedures: Basics for Daily Classroom Management 4. Community and Team Building: Activities for the Secondary Classroom 5. Big Picture Guide to Standards-Based Curriculum and Instruction 6. Strategies for Daily Lesson Planning and Student Engagement 7. Planning for the First Two Weeks of Math Class: Lesson Plans for Mathematics 8. Planning for the First Two Weeks of English and Social Studies Class: Lesson Plans for English and Social Studies Core 9. Supporting Secondary Students to Read Subject Matter Text 10. Teaching for English Language Learner Success: Key Ideas and Strategies for All Secondary Teachers 11. Assessment of Student Learning: Monitoring Students' Progress 12. Communication With Parents: Maintaining That Vital Link Epilogue: Sustaining a Passion for Teaching Appendix: Sample Class Guidelines Letter Key Resources for Secondary Teachers References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Preparing adolescent students for the increasing demands of our world is a complex and challenging activity. This user-friendly book for secondary school teachers is designed to help make your teaching life easier and, in the process, improve academic success for your students. The authors provide a firm foundation for classroom management, lesson planning, assessment, and offer invaluable tips for setting expectations for student behaviour, establishing clear procedures for homework, and communicating with parents and the outside community. Readers will find two chapters dedicated to lesson planning for mathematics and humanities curriculum, chock full of reproducible forms ready to use in the classroom. Teachers will appreciate the way "Keys for the Secondary Classroom" demystifies the steps it takes to become an exemplary secondary school teacher.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Rain Bongolan, Ellen Moir, Wendy Baron.