Cultures in conflict : eliminating racial profiling
- Bireda, Martha R.
- 2nd ed. - Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 109 p. ; 24 cm.
LB3012.2 .B57 2010
- Unknown LB3012.2 .B57 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 105-108).
- Chapter 1 Foreword Chapter 3 Introduction Chapter 4 Workshops Part 5 Part I Chapter 6 Discipline: The New Equity Issue Chapter 7 A New Urgency Chapter 8 Merely a Symptom Part 9 Part II Chapter 10 The Impact of Culture Chapter 11 Cross-Cultural Communication Conflicts in the Classroom Chapter 12 Stereotyping in the Classroom Chapter 13 Cultural Conflicts, Cultural Conditioning, and Disciplinary Practices Part 14 Part III Chapter 15 Racial Disparity and School Climate Chapter 16 Bibliography Chapter 16 Changing the School Climate: The Administrator's Role Chapter 17 Changing Individual Attitudes Chapter 18 The Village Approach: Forming Partnerships with Parents and Community Chapter 19 Evaluating the Process: School Climate and Individual Assessment Part 20 Study Guide.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The suspension and expulsion of ethnic minority students, especially African American males , remains a critical issue in schools today. This book addresses the root causes of racial disparity in discipline. Dr. Bireda shows how culturally conditioned beliefs and cultural misunderstanding negatively impact teacher-student relationships and interactions in the classroom. In addition, factors in the school climate that may precipitate and escalate disciplinary events are examined. Ultimately, Cultures In Conflict provides a framework which assists administrators and teachers in establishing a dialogue on issues related to race and culture, and provides a set of strategies for reducing disciplinary events and referrals.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Martha R. Bireda.
- "Foreword by Paula E. Egelson"--Cover.
- Rev. ed. of: Eliminating racial profiling in school discipline.
- Related Work
- Bireda, Martha R. Eliminating racial profiling in school discipline.