Ethnolinguistic diversity and education : language, literacy, and culture
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 272 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
P35 .E8698 2010
- Unknown P35 .E8698 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface List of Contributors 1: Introduction: Ethnolinguistic Diversity in Language and Literacy Education, Marcia Farr, Lisya Seloni, and Juyoung Song Part I: Ethnolinguistic Diversity in the United States 2: Common Myths and Stereotypes Regarding Literacy and Language Diversity in the Multilingual United States, Terrence G. Wiley & Gerda de Klerk 3: Language, Education, and Literacy a Mexican Transnational Community, Marcia Farr 4: "I'm Speaking English Instead of My Culture" -- Portraits of Language Use and Change among Native American Youth, Teresa L. McCarty, Mary Eunice Romero-Little, Larisa Warhol, & Ofelia Zepeda 5: Diverse Literacy Practices among Asian Populations: Implications for Theory and Pedagogy, Alan Hirvela Part II: Integrating Ethnolinguistic Diversity into Schooling 6: Dialect Awareness, Cultural Literacy, and the Public Interest, Walt Wolfram 7: Ethnosensitivity in Time and Space: Critical Hip Hop Language Pedagogies and Black Language in the US, H. Samy Alim & John Baugh 8: Standardized Assessment of African-American Children: A Sociolinguistic Perspective, Anne H. Charity Hudley 9: Latino Language Practices and Literacy Education in the U.S., Ofelia Garcia 10: Language, Literacy, and Pedagogy of Caribbean Creole English Speakers, Shondel Nero 11: From Outside Agitators to Inside Implementers: Improving the Literacy Education of Vernacular and Creole Speakers, Angela E Rickford & John R. Rickford Afterword: Mariko Haneda.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Offers a review of sociolinguistic research and practice aimed at improving education for students who speak vernacular varieties of US English, English-based Creole languages, and non-English languages, and presents soioculturally based approaches that acknowledge on the linguistic and cultural resources students bring into the school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Marcia Farr, Lisya Seloni, and Juyoung Song.