How RTI works in secondary schools
- Johnson, Evelyn S., 1969-
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 152 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1029 .R4 J64 2009
- Unknown LB1029 .R4 J64 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 133-140) and index.
- Foreword by Daryl F. Mellard Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. What Is RTI? Purpose of RTI at the Secondary Level How RTI Works How RTI Fits With Other Education Initiatives Purpose of This Book How This Book is Organized Summary 2. Implementation and Continuous Improvement Overview What are the Desired Outcomes? How is RTI Expected to Lead to These Outcomes? What Must Happen If RTI is to Work as Expected? What Data Can be Used to Inform Implementation Efforts? How Do We Develop a System for Analyzing and Evaluating Data? What Systems are Needed for continuous Improvement of the RTI Process? Summary 3. Leadership Perspectives on RTI Overview What is My Role as Building Leader to Implement RTI? How Do I Start the Process of Implementation? What Will the Professional Development Needs Be? RTI Focuses on Academics: What About Behavior? What if We Identify too Many Kids in Need of Intervention? What Resources Will I Need to Provide? What If I Don't Get Things Right the First Time? RTI Implementation in Practice Summary 4. Universal Screening Definition: What is Universal Screening? Why is Accuracy Important? Purpose of Screening at the Secondary Level What Data Should Be Collected? Implementation Leader Tasks Universal Screening in Practice Summary 5. Tier 1 Instruction Definition: What is Tier 1 Instruction? Purpose of Tier 1 at the Secondary Level Implementation Tier 1 in Practice: Cheyenne Mountain Junior High School Leader Tasks Summary 6. Tier 2 and 3 Intervention Definition: What is Tier 2 and Tier 3 Intervention? Purpose of Tiers 2 and 3 at the Secondary Level Implementation Tier 2 in Practice: Mattawan High School Tier 3 Implementation Leader Tasks Summary 7. Progress Monitoring Definition: What is Progress Monitoring? Purpose of Progress Monitoring at the Secondary Level Implementation Leader Tasks Summary 8. Conclusion How is RTI Expected to Lead to Improved Student Learning? What is the Role of Leadership for Ensuring Successful RTI Implementation? Why We are Optimistic About the Future of RTI: Two Case Stories Summary Appendix: RTI Implementation Checklist Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This book not only provides a solid foundation for guiding school improvement, but also details an array of very practical tools that can be used to implement tiered instructional options in middle and high school settings' - Donald D. Deshler, Williamson Family Distinguished Professor of Special Education, Director, Center for Research on Learning, University of Kansas. 'From research-based screenings to evidence-based interventions, the authors address the challenges specific to secondary schools and provide concise, realistic options' - Nicole Power, RTI Coordinator and Speech Language Pathologist, Bethany Public Schools, OK. Implementing Response to Intervention (RTI) in secondary schools offers many unique challenges, but this comprehensive, research-based book provides secondary school administrators with the information, resources, and guidance necessary to use RTI for the benefit of struggling adolescent learners. Drawing on the latest research, the authors identify the current best practices for key components of RTI and demonstrate how school teams can work together to implement an assessment- and data-driven decision-making process for educators. Describing how all these elements can work together under the RTI framework, this book provides: specific guidance on building leadership capacity to make RTI implementation a success; case studies that illustrate real middle and high school RTI models; instructional strategies for tiers one, two, and three; and, forms, checklists, and lists of Web and print resources. With this valuable resource, secondary school leaders can avoid potential missteps when implementing RTI and make dramatic improvements in outcomes for adolescent learners.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Evelyn S. Johnson, Lori Smith, Monica L. Harris ; foreword by Daryl F. Mellard.