Critical approaches to comparative education : vertical case studies from Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xvii, 263 p. ; 22 cm.
- International & development education.
LB43 .C75 2009
- Unknown LB43 .C75 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -252) and index.
- PART I: APPROPRIATING EDUCATIONAL POLICIES AND PROGRAMS Localizing No Child Left Behind: Supplemental Educational Services (SES) in New York City The Decalage and Bricolage of Higher Education Policymaking in an Inter/national System: The Unintended Consequences of Participation in the 1992 Senegalese CNES Reform AIDS and Edutainment: Inter/National Health Education in Tanzanian Secondary Schools PART II: EXPLORING PARTICIPATION IN INTER/NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT DISCOURSE Questioning Participation: Exploring Discourses and Practices of Community Participation in Education Reform in Tanzania Living Participation: Considering the Promise and Politics of Participatory Educational Reforms in Brazil Transformative Teaching in Restrictive Times: Engaging Teacher Participation in Small School Reform during an Era of Standardization PART III: EXAMINING THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF DIVERSITY 'Migration Nation': Intercultural Education and Anti-Racism as Symbolic Violence in Celtic Tiger Ireland 'Don't You Want Your Child to Be Better than You?': Enacting Ideologies and Contesting Intercultural Policy in Peru Citizenship and Belonging in an Age of Insecurity: Pakistani Immigrant Youth in New York City PART IV: MANAGING CONFLICT THROUGH INTER/NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT EDUCATION The Relief-Development Transition: Sustainability and Educational Support in Post-Conflict Settings Perpetuated Suffering: Social Injustice in Liberian Teachers' Lives Positioning Arabic in Schools: Language Policy, National Identity, and Development in Contemporary Lebanon.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book unites a dynamic group of scholars who examine linkages among local, national, and international levels of educational policy and practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Frances Vavrus and Lesley Bartlett.
- International & development education