More best practices for elementary classrooms : what award-winning teachers do
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Alexandria, Va.] : NAESP, c2009.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 233 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB1776.2 .M67 2009
- Unknown LB1776.2 .M67 2009
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface About the Author About the Contributors Part I. Classroom Practices Across the Curriculum Classroom Management, Creative Scheduling, and Community Involvement 1. Building the Atmosphere, Kindergarten - Elizabeth Grelle Kruse, Illinois 2. Creating a Classroom Environment, Kindergarten - Tony Nichols, Illinois 3. Transition Time, Grades K-5 - Ginger Mendenhall, Oklahoma 4. People at Work, Grade 3 - KJ Bailey, Florida Differentiating Instruction in Regular and Inclusive Classrooms 5. Mix and Match, Grades K-12 - Ginger Mendenhall, Oklahoma 6. Considering Special Education: Creative Scheduling, Classroom Management, and Inclusion, Grades K-3 - Kendra Jiles, South Carolina 7. Personal Education Plan (PEP) Books, Grade 3 - Sharla Steever, South Dakota 8. Planning for Differentiation, Grades 2-5 - Kelli Higgins, Illinois 9. Learning to Teach Inclusion, Grade 4 - Brandy Bailey, Mississippi 10. Succeeding in Math Instruction: Considering Special Needs, Grade 5 - Michelle Gale, Georgia Using Technology in the Classroom 11. Technology for a Varied and More Interesting Classrooms, Grades K-12 - Helen Melvin, Maine 12. Incorporating Technology in the Classroom, Grades 3-4 - Marianne Morin, New York 13. Technological Inventions Research and PowerPoint Project, Grades 3-5 - LeAnn Morris, Nevada 14. Video Production in the Classroom, Grades K-12 - Michael Flynn, Massachusetts Part II. Teaching Math and Science Teaching Math 15. Schoolwide Math Motivators, Grades K-5 - Lisa M. Hall, Virginia 16. Differentiation in Kindergarten Geometry, Kindergarten - Barb A. Egbert, Missouri 17. Patterning Math, Grade 1 - Ina Bouker, Arkansas 18. Using Writing to Teach Math, Grade 1-5 - Ganna Maymind, New Jersey 19. Patterns With Toothpicks, Grade 2-5 - Deb Guthrie, Minnesota 20. Math-A-Thon, Grade 3 - Kelli Higgins, Illinois 21. Exploring Side Lengths of Triangles and Quadrilaterals, Grade 5 - Pam Cyr, Vermont 22. Fundraiser Math, Grade 5 - Shari Kaneshiro, Hawaii 23. Problem Solving, Grades 3-5 - Debbie Gordon, Arizona Teaching Science 24. Huff and Puff, Grades K-2 - Karin Huttsell, Indiana 25. What's It Worth to You?, Grade 2 - Diana A. Minor, Missouri 26. Awareness of Wildlife, Grade 2 - Marianne Sipe, Tennessee 27. Pond Partners, Grade 2-4 - Wendy Smith, New York 28. Using Mysteries to Teach Science Inquiry, Grades 2-4 - Frieda Taylor Aiken, Georgia 29. Journey With the Loggerheads, Grades 3-5 - Nancy Bryant, North Carolina 30. Inquiry and Integration, Grades 3-5 - Amy Nicholl, Colorado 31. Scientific Investigations Driven by Inquiry, Grade 5 - Debbie Easley, Alabama 32. Student-Expert Groups, Grades 2-5 - Carol Brueggeman, Colorado Part III. Teaching Reading and Writing Teaching Reading 33. Nonfiction Guided Reading Lesson, Grade 2-3 - Maranda Alcala, Oregon 34. Nonfiction Electronic Book, Grades K-12 - Karen Brown, Colorado 35. Reading Assessment Menu, Grades 4-5 - Reid Nunn, New Mexico 36. The Elementary Teacher-Librarian: A Job Defined by the Needs of the School, Grades K-5 - Peggy J. Billiard, Indiana 37. Total Physical Response (TPR): Let's Get Moving, Grades 2-3 ESL - Jodi Jari, Wisconsin Teaching Writing 38. Kindergarten Authors, Kindergarten - Renee Borden, Tennessee 39. Teaching Writing: What Works, Grades K-2 - Nikki Salvatico, Pennsylvania 40. Succeeding With Reading and Writing Instruction for Multi-Level Classrooms, Grades K-5 - Kendra Jiles, South Carolina 41. Multigenre Writing, Grade 4-5(+) Gifted - Karen Brown, Colorado 42. Creating Villains to Create Great Narratives, Grades K-5 - Andrea Payan, Wisconsin 43. Breakfast Biographies, Grades 4-5 - Tammy Spratt, Kentucky 44. An Inquiry Approach to Writing Memoir, Grades 4-5 - Stacy Gardner Dibble, Minnesota 45. Found Poetry, Grade 5 - Kim Tredick, California 46. "Big" Poem, Grades 5-6 - Sue Davis Pope, Utah Part IV. Teaching Social Studies, Music, Art, and PE Teaching Social Studies 47. Current Events: Learning About Our World, Grade K-12 - Karen Brown, Colorado 48. Inaugural Poetry, Grade K-4 - Luella L. Atkins, Missouri 49. Cultural Diversity in Our Community: Past and Present, Grades K-4 - Chris Shadle, Ohio 50. Prejudice Against African Americans During the Time of Segregation, Grades K-4 - Kim Heckart, Iowa 51. How Simulations and Impersonations Inspire Students, Grade 5 - Heather E. Robinson, Arizona 52. Archi-Techs: Learning U.S. History Through Architecture, Grade 5 - Eileen Beigel, Florida 53. Immigration: Was Your Name Changed at Ellis Island?, Grade 5 - Tammy Spratt, Kentucky Teaching Music, Art, and Physical Education 54. Celebrating Music, Grades 4-5 - Heather E. Robinson, Arizona 55. A Taste of Music: Concert Ideas, Grade 5 - Denese Odegaard, North Dakota 56. Progressive Portraits, Grades K-6 - Susan Menkes, New York 57. The Motor Lab and Sensory Tools for the Classrooms, Grades K-4 - Cindy L. Hodgeson, Arizona 58. Brain Exercises, Grade K-5 - Tammy Haggerty Jones, Illinois.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a new best practices book from Randi Stone. A sequel to her "Best Practices Classrooms: What Award-Winning Elementary Teachers Do", this title is written by award-winning elementary school teachers for aspiring and practicing elementary school teachers. Like the middle and high school versions, "More Best Practices for Elementary Classrooms" offers specific classroom activities for different subjects, ideas for involving parents, ways to make inclusion work, strategies for using technology across the content areas, and more.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Randi Stone.