The Sage handbook of intercultural competence
- Los Angeles : SAGE, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 542 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Deardorff, Darla K.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Foreword - Derek Bok PART I. CONCEPTUALIZING INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE 1. Conceptualizing Intercultural Competence - Brian Spitzberg, Gabrielle Changnon 2. The Identity Factor in Intercultural Competence - Young Yun Kim 3. The Interculturally Competent Leader - Margaret D. Pusch 4. The Moral Circle in Intercultural Competence: Trust Across Cultures - Gert Jan Hofstede 5. Intercultural Conflict Competence as a Facet of Intercultural Competence Development: Multiple Conceptual Approaches - Stella Ting-Toomey 6. Cultivating Intercultural Competence: A Process Perspective - Janet M. Bennett 7. Developing Globally Competent Citizens: The Contrasting Cases of the United States and Vietnam - Mark A. Ashwill, Duong Thi Hoang Oanh 8. Understanding Africans' Conceptualizations of Intercultural Competence - Peter Ogom Nwosu 9. An Associative Approach to Intercultural Communication Competence in the Arab World - R.S. Zaharna 10. A Chinese Model of Intercultural Leadership Competence - Guo-Ming Chen, Ran An 11. Intercultural Competence in German Discourse - Alois Moismueller, Michael Schonhuth 12. India: A Cross-Cultural Overview of Intercultural Competence - Ranjini Manian, Shobha Naidu 13. Interculturality versus Intercultural Competence in Latin America - Adriana Medina-Lopez-Portillo & John Sinnigen 14. Synthesizing Conceptualizations of Intercultural Competence: A Summary of Emerging Themes - Darla K. Deardorff PART II. APPLYING INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE 15. Passing It On: Intercultural Competence in the Training Arena - Craig Storti 16. Leading Global Projects: Bridging the Cultural and Functional-Divide - Robert T. Moran, William E. Youngdahl, Sarah V. Moran 17. Developing the Intercultural Competence of Educators and Their Students: Creating the Blueprints - Kenneth Cushner, Jennifer Mahon 18. The Intercultural Speaker and the Pedagogy of Foreign Langauge Education - Michael Bryam 19. Cultural Mentoring: International Education Professionals and the Development of Intercultural Competence - R. Michael Paige, Matthew L. Goode 20. Culturally Competent Practice in Social Work - Rowena Fong 21. Global Competence for Engineers - John M. Grandin, Norbert Hedderich 22. Neither Jew nor Gentile: Lessons About Intercultural Competence in Religious Organizations - George Yancey 23. Developing Skills for Interculturally Competent Care - Rohini Anand, Indra Lahiri PART III. ASSESSMENT AND RESEARCH IN INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE 24. Methodological Issues in Researching Intercultural Competence - Fons J. R. van de Vijver, Kwok Leung 25. Applying Theory and Research: The Evolution of Intercultural Competence in U.S. Study Abroad - Michael Vande Berg, R. Michael Paige 26. Research Application: Towards a General Framework of Competence for Today's Global Village - Fons Trompenaars, Peter Wooliams 27. Assessing Intercultural Competence: Issues and Tools - Alvino E. Fantini 28. Implementing Intercultural Comopetence Assessment - Darla K. Deardorff 29. The Real Cost of Intercultural Competence: An Epilogue - Joseph E. Trimble, Paul B. Pedersen, Eduardo S. Rodela.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "The SAGE Handbook of Intercultural Competence" brings together in one volume the leading experts and scholars from a variety of fields (e.g., education, communication, psychology, social work, health care, conflict studies, etc.) and from around the world who do work in inter cultural competence (defined as appropriate and effective communication, as well as behavior, in inter cultural situations). Given the current and future focus on global workforce development, and on globalization in general, this Handbook examines the skills, attitudes, and knowledge needed in our ever diverse world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Darla K. Deardorff ; foreword by Derek Bok.
- Title Variation
- Intercultural competence