Transformative learning in practice : insights from community, workplace, and higher education
LC1100 .M49 2009
- Unknown LC1100 .M49 2009
- Taylor, Edward W. (Edward Woodbury), 1952-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface. About the Authors. PART ONE: INTRODUCTION. 1 Fostering Transformative Learning (Edward W. Taylor). 2 Transformative Learning Theory (Jack Mezirow). PART TWO: TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING AS HIGHER EDUCATION. 3 Creating Alternative Realities: Arts-Based Approaches to Transformative Learning (Shauna Butterwick, Randee Lipson Lawrence). 4 Constructive Teaching and Learning: Collaboration in a Sociology Classroom (Debra Langan, Ron Sheese, Deborah Davidson). 5 Facilitating Transformative Learning: Engaging Emotions in an Online Context (John M. Dirkx, Regina O. Smith). 6 Fostering Transformative Learning in Leadership Development (Joe F. Donaldson). 7 Mentoring: When Learners Make the Learning (Alan Mandell, Lee Herman). 8 Transformative Approaches to Culturally Responsive Teaching: Engaging Cultural Imagination (Elizabeth J. Tisdell, Derise E. Tolliver). 9 Promoting Dialogic Teaching Among Higher Education Faculty in South Africa (Sarah Gravett, Nadine Petersen). 10 Transformative Palliative Care Education (Rod MacLeod, Tony Egan). PART THREE: TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING AS WORKPLACE EDUCATION. 11 Engaging Critical Reflection in Corporate America (Stephen Brookfield). 12 Charting the Course: How Storytelling Can Foster Communicative Learning in the Workplace (Jo A. Tyler). 13 Coaching to Transform Perspective (Beth Fisher-Yoshida). 14 The Transformative Potential of Action Learning Conversations: Developing Critically Reflective Practice Skills (Victoria J. Marsick, Terrence E. Maltbia). 15 Transformative Learning in Adult Basic Education (Kathleen P. King, Barbara P. Heuer). 16 From Tradesperson to Teacher: A Transformative Transition (Patricia Cranton). PART FOUR: TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING AS COMMUNITY AND SOCIAL CHANGE. 17 Fostering a Learning Sanctuary for Transformation in Sustainability Education (Elizabeth A. Lange). 18 Popular Education, Women's Work, and Transforming Lives in Bolivia (Catherine A. Hansman, Judith Kollins Wright). 19 Promoting Personal Empowerment with Women in East Harlem Through Journaling and Coaching (Susan R. Meyer). 20 Breaking Out of the Egg: Methods of Transformative Learning in Rural West Africa (Peter Easton, Karen Monkman, Rebecca Miles). 21 Farmer Field Schools: A Platform for Transformative Learning in Rural Africa (Deborah Duveskog, Esbern Friis-Hansen). 22 Collaborative Inquiry in Action: Transformative Learning Through Co-Inquiry (Lucia Alc - antara, Sandra Hayes, Lyle Yorks). 23 Challenging Racism in Self and Others: Transformative Learning as a Living Practice (European-American Collaborative Challenging Whiteness). PART FIVE: REFLECTIONS. 24 Looking Forward by Looking Back: Reflections on the Practice of Transformative Learning (Edward W. Taylor, Jodi Jarecke). Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The leading authorities in the field produced this comprehensive resource, which provides strategies and methods for fostering Transformative Learning (TL) practice in a wide variety of higher and adult education settings. The book answers relevant questions such as: what are effective practices for promoting TL in the classroom? What is it about TL that is most helpful in informing practice? How does the teaching setting shape the practice of TL? What are the successes, strengths, and outcomes of fostering TL? What are the risks and challenges when practicing TL in the classroom?
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jack Mezirow, Edward W. Taylor, and associates.
- The Jossey-Bass higher education series