Transitions from education to work : new perspectives from Europe and beyond
- Basingstoke [England] ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 259 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LC1044 .T73 2009
- Unknown LC1044 .T73 2009
- Brooks, Rachel, 1971-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 225-254) index.
- List of Tables and Figures Notes on the Contributors Transitions from Education to Work: An Introduction-- R.Brooks PART I: CHANGING TRANSITIONS School-to-Work in the 1990s: Modelling Transitions with Large-scale Datasets-- V.Gayle, P.Lambert & S.Murray Interrogating the Notion of Transition: Learner Experiences of Multiple Transitions Between the Vocational and Higher Education Sectors-- R.Harris & L.Rainey PART II: MAKING TRANSITIONS Social Capital as Key for Successful School-to-Work Transitions? Analyzing Migrant Youths' Trajectories and Social Networks-- N.Waechter, J.Blum & P.Scheibelhofer Living with Poor Basic Skills? The Role of 'Skills for Life' in Education-to-work Transitions-- M.Cieslik & D.Simpson Stories of Survival: The Struggle for Resiliency in the Post-institutional Life Course of Former Residential Education Students-- M.Jahnukainen PART III: EMERGING SITES OF TRANSITION The Relevance of University Education and Fears of Unemployment: Perceptions of University Students Making Transitions to the World of Work in Ghana-- M.Tagoe Gap Year Travel: Youth Transition or Youth Transformation?-- N.Johan The Role of Volunteering in the Transition from Higher Education to Work-- N.Matthews, P.Green, D.Hall & I.Hall PART IV: RETHINKING TRANSITIONS Education, Transition and e-Portfolios: Smoothing out the Bumps-- D.Young Governing School-to-work Transitions: Shaping the Future Worker-- J.Bye 'Mind the Gap': Reassessing Transitions to Adulthood using Young People's Accounts of Undertaking Short-term Employment-- A.King Conclusion-- R.Brooks Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Bringing together new empirical research from scholars across the world, this book helps us to understand the changing nature of young people's transitions from education to work. The book is structured around four main themes, each of which encourages us to rethink some of our assumptions about pathways from education into employment in contemporary society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Rachel Brooks.