Education, participatory action research, and social change : international perspectives
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Physical description
- viii, 274 p. ; 25 cm.
H62 .E38 2009
- Unknown H62 .E38 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: International Perspectives on Education, PAR, and Social Change-- D.Kapoor & S.Jordan PART I: INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVES ON EDUCATION AND PAR From a Methodology of the Margins to Neoliberal Appropriation and Beyond: Lineages of PAR-- S.Jordan Subaltern Social Movements (SSM) and the Politicization of PAR-- D.Kapoor When Research becomes a Revolution: Participatory Action Research with Indigenous Peoples-- C.Weber-Pillwax Ko tatou te rangahau, ko te rangahau ko tatou: A Maori Approach to Participatory Action Research-- L.Te Aika & J.Greenwood Translating 'Participation' from North to South: A Case Against Intellectual Imperialism in Social Science Research-- C.Chambers & H.Balanoff Action Research for Curriculum Internationalization: Education versus Commercialization-- R.McTaggart & G.Curro Critical Complexity and Participatory Action Research: Decolonizing 'Democratic' Knowledge Production-- J.Kincheloe Reconceptualizing Participatory Action Research for Sustainability Education-- E.Lange PART II: INTERNATIONAL CONTEXTS: CASE STUDIES OF PAR, EDUCATION, AND SOCIAL CHANGE Chara chimwe hachitswanyi inda: Indigenizing Science Education in Zimbabwe-- E.Shizha Research and Agency: The Case of Rural Women and Land Tenure in Tanzania-- C.Mhina NGO-Community Partnerships, PAR, and Learning in Mining Struggles in Ghana-- V.Kwai Pun Ethnography-in-Motion: Neo-liberalism and the Shack-Dwellers Movement in South Africa-- S.Walsh Kabyle Community Participatory Action Research (CPAR) in Algeria: Reflections on Research, Amazigh Identity, and Schooling-- T.Belkacem Notes and Queries for an Activist Street Anthropology: Street Resistance, Gringopolitica, and the Quest for Subaltern Visions in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil-- S.Veissiere A Participatory Research Approach to Exploring Social Movement Learning in the Chilean Women's Movement-- D.Chovanec & H.Gonzalez Participatory Research and Grassroots Development: Challenges in Rural Bangladesh-- B.Barua Making Space for Youth: iHuman Youth Society and Arts-Based Participatory Research with Street-Involved Youth in Canada-- D.Conrad & W.Kendal.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawing primarily from critical traditions in social and educational research, this book frames contemporary issues and several conceptual, theoretical-analytical and onto-epistemmic approaches towards the development and practice of PAR (Participatory Action Research) in multiple educational spaces and initiatives for socio-cultural change.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- edited by Dip Kapoor and Steven Jordan.