Crossing the line [videorecording] : multiracial comedians
- Educational ed.
- Dedham, MA : Entertaining Diversity, [2008?]
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (59 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- [disc 1] The film
- [disc 2] Extra features.
- "This full length documentary analyzes how mixed race comedians mediate multiracial identities and humor. Crossing lines of racial, ethnic, and cultural acceptability by their very existence, multiracial comedians reveal that meanings of race vary across ethnic combination, gender, place, and time. The film features the experiences, perspectives, and performances of American comedians of more than one racial ancestry. The timeliness of multiracial comedians' roles as crossracial mediators is underscored as they provide insight into controversies over how comedians express race (i.e., Michael Richards' use of the N-word, Rosie O' Donnell's slurs), and other debated meanings of race in an increasingly diverse society. Exploring these questions exposes the very nature of where pain and laughter come from in a racially divided world"--Entertaining Diversity website.
- Supplemental links
- Teacher's guide
- Publication date
- Entertaining Diversity, Inc. presents ; produced by Teja Arboleda, Darby Li Po Price ; director, writer, Teja Arboleda.
- Title Variation
- Multiracial comedians
- Based on Darby Li Po Price's Mixed laughter : mediating multiracial identities in American ethnic comedy (Ph.D. diss., University of California, Berkeley, 1998).
- Originally produced as a documentary film in 2007.
- Teacher's guide by Darby Li Po Price (PDF format) available from the director.
- [disc 2] (77 min.) contains special educational features: extended interviews with Paul Spickard and Reginald Daniel; extended comedy routines by Jim Ruel, Tessie Chua; game/interactive class activity, Where's the line?
- Production Credits
- Camera, editor, Teja Arboleda ; researcher, coordinator, Darby Li Po Price.
- Interviewer, Darby Li Po Price; including Rain Pryor, Randall Kennedy.
- DVD (NTSC).
- Related Work
- Price, Darby Li Po. Mixed laughter.