Awakening the sleeping giant : helping teachers develop as leaders
- Katzenmeyer, Marilyn.
- 3rd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 220 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
LB1715 .K28 2009
- Unknown LB1715 .K28 2009
- Moller, Gayle.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 207-214) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Understanding Teacher Leadership Teacher Leadership Emerges Definition of Teacher Leadership Three Potential Teacher Leaders Readiness for Teacher Leadership Who Is Responsible? Conclusion Application Challenges 2. Promoting Teacher Leadership Rationale for Teacher Leadership Benefits of Teacher Leadership Teacher Leadership Assumptions Conclusion Application Challenges 3. Developing Teacher Leaders Professional Development for Teacher Leaders Leadership Development for Teachers A Development Model for Teacher Leadership Conclusion Application Challenges 4. Understanding Myself and Others as Teachers and Leaders Professional Teaching Skills Teacher Uniqueness Reluctant Learners and Leaders Acknowledging Diversity Conclusion Application Challenges 5. Building a Culture That Supports Teacher Leadership Dimensions of School Culture Relationships Between Adults in the School Organizational Structure Actions of the Principal Conclusion Application Challenges 6. Influencing Others Through Teacher Leadership Influence With Instructional Competence How Teachers Influence Influencing Skills Teacher Leader Action in Schools Conclusion Application Challenges 7. Emerging Teacher Leadership and Its Challenges Evolution of Teacher Leadership Many Faces of Teacher Leadership Challenges for Teacher Leaders Conclusion Application Challenges 8. Building a Future for Teacher Leadership Teacher Leadership in the Future Teacher Leader Concerns Teacher Leaders as Advocates for Change Conclusion Resource A. A Resource for Teacher Leadership: Philosophy of Education InventoryA(c) (PEIA(c)) Resource B. Teacher Leader School Survey (TLSS) Resource C. Time for Teacher Leadership Resource D. Teacher Leadership Books, Instruments, and Organizations References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'The ultimate for those who promote teacher leadership and those who would be teacher leaders' - Roland S. Barth, Educational Consultant, Author, Lessons Learned. 'Katzenmeyer and Moller usher in a new age of teacher leadership, an age of mutuality in learning and leading, broad-based participation, and shared responsibility. Their work is based on the powerful assumption that all of us - especially teachers - have the right, capacity, and responsibility to lead' - Linda Lambert, Professor Emeritus, California State University, Hayward. 'This seminal text left me nothing short of energized when I first picked it up almost ten years ago. Filled with new surveys, tools, and suggestions for today's teacher leader, the newest edition is simply a must-read for anyone driving meaningful change in the classrooms of our country' - Bill Ferriter, Senior Fellow Teacher Leaders Network. This third edition of a bestseller draws on the authors' two decades of experience in studying and observing the work of teacher leaders. Marilyn Katzenmeyer and Gayle Moller expand on the definition of leadership and its importance to improving outcomes in schools, and cover the career long development of teacher leaders from preservice preparation programmes through ongoing support for veteran teacher leaders. This exceptional, teacher-focused resource discusses three factors critical to stepping into a leadership role: sustaining teacher leadership relationships between adults in the school, organizational structures, and the actions of the principal. The authors discuss the challenges that many teacher leaders face, including: deciding to accept a leadership role; building principal-teacher leader relationships; working with peers; and, facilitating professional learning for themselves and others. With the latest research from the teacher leadership literature and new teacher inventories and surveys, this updated edition of "Awakening the Sleeping Giant" demonstrates the benefits of investing in teachers and their learning to sustain meaningful change in today's schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Marilyn Katzenmeyer, Gayle Moller.