Optical refrigeration : science and applications of laser cooling of solids
- Weinheim [Germany] : Wiley-VCH, c2009.
- Physical description
- xv, 241 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
QC689.5 .L35 O68 2009
- Unknown QC689.5 .L35 O68 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Optical Refrigeration in Solids: Fundamentals and Overview (Richard Epstein, Mansoor Sheik-Bahae) 2. Design and Fabrication of Rare-Earth-Doped Laser Cooling Materials (Markus Hehlen) 3. Laser Cooling in Fluoride Single Crystals (Stefano Bigotta, Mauro Tonelli) 4. Er-doped Materials for Solid-State Cooling (Joaquin Fernandez, Angel Garcia-Adeva, Rolindes Balda) 5. Laser Refrigerator Design and Applications (Gary Mills, Mel Buchwald) 6. Microscopic Theory of Luminescence and its Application to Optical Refrigeration of Semiconductors (Greg Rupper, Nai H. Kwong, Rolf Binder) 7. Improving the Efficiency of Laser Cooling of Semiconductors by Means of Bandgap Engineering in Electronic and Photonic Domains (Jacob Khurgin) 8. Thermodynamics of Optical Cooling of Bulk Matter (Carl E. Mungan).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Edited by the two top experts in the field with a panel of International contributors, this is a comprehensive up-to-date review of research and applications. Starting with the basic physical principles of laser cooling of solids, the monograph goes on to discuss the current theoretical issues being resolved and the increasing demands of growth and evaluation of high purity materials suitable for optical refrigeration, while also examining the design and applications of practical cryocoolers. This is an advanced text for scientists, researchers, engineers, and students (masters, PHDs and Postdoc) in laser and optical material science, and cryogenics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Richard Epstein and Mansoor Sheik-Bahae.