- Publication date:
- New Delhi : Institute for Human Development : Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Book, Conference Proceedings
- xxii, 350 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
- Title Variation:
Universalization of elementary education
Includes bibliographical references.
- FOREWORD, ACKNOWLEDGMENTS, LIST OF TABLES, FIGURES, MAPS, GRAPHS AND FLOW CHARTS. LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS---- INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW: -- TOWARDS UNIVERSALIZING ELEMENTARY EDUCATION -- EMERGING ISSUES AND CHALLENGES-- -- DISPARITIES AND INEQUITIES -- UNIVERSALIZING ELEMENTARY EDUCATION -- A REVIEW OF PROGRESS, POLICIES AND PROBLEMS-- -- MEASURING EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND DISPARITIES -- INEQUITIES IN ELEMENTARY EDUCATION -- SYSTEMIC BARRIERS TO EQUITY IN EDUCATION -- THE CHALLENGE OF QUALITY IN EDUCATION -- THE CHALLENGE OF QUALITY-- CHANGING MINDSETS ABOUT QUALITY -- ISSUES CONCERNING CURRICULUM, PEDAGOGY AND LEARNING -- THE OPEN CLASSROOM AND ITS CRITICS -- WOMEN'S EDUCATION OR 'SCHOOLING' WOMEN- CONTESTED TERRAIN -- ENHANCING CHILD LEARNING IN ANDHRA PRADESH -- TOWARDS INCLUSIVE EDUCATION -- CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES -- OVER-AGE CHILDREN -- OUT-OF-SCHOOL CHILDREN -- OUT-OF-SCHOOL AND WORKING CHILDREN.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary:
The volume addresses vital concerns and conflicts that need urgent attention in advancing India's quest for universalizing elementary education. The dialogue among experts, researchers and practitioners offers theoretical perspectives, identifies systemic constraints and points to institutional rigidities that hamper the spread of good quality basic education. The volume undertakes in-depth analyses, helps understand issues based on the insights of scholars and practitioners, and identifies areas of action for ensuring social cohesion and relevance. It also addresses specific concerns, especially of girls and the socially marginalized groups. The papers draw attention to faulty assumptions, persistent disparities and inadequate commitment to inclusive education, resulting in the neglect of a) pre-school, out- b) of-school, c) over-age, and d) working children. Detailed case studies draw attention to systemic deficiencies in school management and administration of the education system.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Rustagi, Preet.
Institute for Human Development (New Delhi, India)