Children and pictures : drawing and understanding
- Jolley, Richard P.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 377 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
BF723 .D7 J65 2010
- Unknown BF723 .D7 J65 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -361) and indexes.
- Acknowledgments. Credits. Introduction. 1 The Development of Representational Drawing. 2 The Development of Expressive Drawing. 3 Drawings from Children in Special Populations. 4 Production and Comprehension of Representational Drawing. 5 Children's Understanding of the Dual Nature of Pictures. 6 Drawings as Measures of Internal Representations. 7 Drawings as Assessment Tools: Intelligence, Personality and Emotionality. 8 Drawing as Memory Aids. 9 Cultural Influences on Children's Drawings. 10 The Education of Drawing. 11 Future Directions. Further Reading. References. Author Index. Subject Index. Plates.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In "Children and Pictures", Richard P. Jolley critiques both the historical and contemporary studies conducted in the field of children's making and understanding of pictures. Some highlights of "Children and Pictures" are: what develops, and why, in children's representational and expressive drawing, both in typical, atypical, and cross-cultural populations; the developing relationship between production and comprehension of pictures; children's understanding of pictures as symbolic representations; practical and applied uses of drawings, particularly in clinical and legal settings; and, diverse educational practices of teaching drawing across the world. Presenting up-to-date research and pointing towards future topics of study, "Children and Pictures" brings the study of children's drawings into mainstream child development studies. This is an edifying resource for students, researchers, practitioners, parents, artists, and educators in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Richard P. Jolley.
- Title Variation
- Children & pictures