Choose to learn : teaching for success every day
- Osguthorpe, Russell T.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 121 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB1060 .O84 2009
- Unknown LB1060 .O84 2009
- Osguthorpe, Lolly S.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 113-116) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. The Three Ds of Success Desire Decision Determination Expectations Applying the Three 's of Success Making It Happen 2. Urgency, Not Pressure Differences Between Pressure and Urgency Urgency and Learning Making It Happen 3. Do Something You've Never Done Before Why Avoid the Unfamiliar? The Zone of Attainable Success Teacher as Designer Making It Happen 4. Light the Fire Linked to the Life of the Learner Challenging Inspiring Making It Happen 5. Help Is on the Way Help That Invites Help That Instructs Help That Confirms Think It, Choose It, Do It, Succeed Making It Happen 6. Do the Right Thing for the Right Reason The Opposite of an Addiction to Failure Motives and Actions The Three Ds of Success Lighting the Fire Can One Judge Another's Motives? Making It Happen 7. Extinguish the Negative Make No Excuses An Eye of Faith Help and Faith Vision and Faith Making It Happen 8. Choose to Lead Who Should Lead? Leading and Helping Perception and Leadership Making It Happen Epilogue: Expect Success References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Discover powerful principles that help students raise their goals, expect success, and make extraordinary strides in achievement! This resource shows educators how to teach their students to be successful learners through the development of key personal attributes that foster success. The book is organized around an easy-to-use and research-based model derived from multiple fields, including education, psychology, and philosophy. The authors' field-tested approach is based on the application of eight principles that can: increase every learner's self-confidence; create new expectations and infuse students with new energy and motivation; and, encourage individuals to go beyond familiar goals and take manageable risks.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Russell T. Osguthorpe, Lolly S. Osguthorpe.