The struggle for identity in today's schools : cultural recognition in a time of increasing diversity
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiii, 218 p. ; 24 cm.
LC1099.3 .S896 2009
- Unknown LC1099.3 .S896 2009
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction: Cultural identity and the struggle for recognition / Patrick M. Jenlink and Faye Hicks Townes
- Affirming diversity, politics of recognition, and the cultural work of schools / Patrick M. Jenlink
- Dialoguing toward a racialized identity : a necessary first step in a politics of recognition / Kris Sloan
- Misrecognition compounded / Faye Hicks Townes
- Recognition, identity politics, and English-language learners / Angela Crespo Cozart
- Identity formation and recognition in Asian American students / Kimberley A. Woo
- Curriculum and recognition / Raymond A. Horn Jr.
- Extracurricular activities and student identity : participation in fine arts activities / Amanda M. Rudolph
- Recognition, identity politics, and the special needs student / Sandra Stewart
- Athletes, recognition, and the formation of identity / Vincent E. Mumford
- Parental involvement : low-socioeconomic status (SES) and ethnic minority parents' struggle for recognition and identity / Julia Ballenger
- Reaching out to parents as partners in preparing students for postsecondary education / Betty Alford
- Difficult conversations about cultural identity issues / Sandy Harris
- Value-added community : recognition, induction-year teacher diversity, and the shaping of identity / John C. Leonard
- Coda: Recognition, difference, and the future of America's schools / Patrick M. Jenlink.
- Publication date
- edited by Patrick M. Jenlink and Faye Hicks Townes.