The Routledge international companion to multicultural education
- New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Physical description
- xx, 571 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Routledge international handbooks.
LC1099 .R685 2009
- Unknown LC1099 .R685 2009
- Banks, James A.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part One: Multicultural Education: Theoretical Perspectives and Issues Multicultural Education: Dimensions and Paradigms, James A. Banks Critical Multiculturalism and Education, Stephen May Worldwide Population Movements, Diversity, and Education, Stephen Castles Globalization, Immigration, and Schooling, Marcelo Suarez-Orozco and Carola Suarez-Orozco Part Two: Multicultural Education and Diversity Across Nations Multicultural Education in the United States: Historical Realities, Ongoing Challenges, and Transformative Possibilities, Sonia Nieto Multicultural Education Policy in Canada: Competing Ideologies, Interconnected Discourses, Reva Joshee Multicultural Education in Australia: Two Generations of Evolution, Christine Inglis Multicultural Education in the United Kingdom, Sally Tomlinson From Intercultural Education to the Inclusion of Diversity: Theories and Policies in Europe, Cristina Allemann-Ghionda Multicultural Education in South Africa, Crain Soudien Multicultural Education in Japan, Yasu Hirasawa Part Three: Race, Intergroup Relations, and Schooling Critical Perspectives on Race and Schooling, David Gillborn and Deborah Youdell The Nature and Origins of Children's Racial Attitudes, Rebecca S. Bigler and Julie Milligan Hughes Modifying Children's Racial Attitudes, Frances E. Aboud Education Programs for Improving Intergroup Relations between Palestinians and Jews in Israel, Zvi Bekerman Multicultural Education for Young Children, Patricia G. Ramsey Part Four: Culture, Teaching, and Learning Cultural Influences on Learning, Carol D. Lee Socialization, Literacy, and Empowerment, Thor Ola Engen Part Five: The Education of Indigenous Groups Connecting the Circle in American Indian Education, Donna Deyhle and Karen Gayton Comeau Indigenous Education in Peru, Maria Elena Garcia The Struggle to Educate the Maori in New Zealand, Wally Penetito Part Six: Citizenship, Immigration, and Education Diversity, Group Identity, and Citizenship Education in a Global Age, James A. Banks Education, Integration, and Citizenship in France, Eva Lemaire Citizenship Education in France and England: Contrasting Approaches to National Identity and Diversity, Audrey Osler and Hugh Starkey Democracy, Antiracism, and Citizenship Education in England and Sweden, Hugh Starkey and Audrey Osler Diversity and Citizenship Education in Bulgaria, Hristo Kyuchukov Part Seven: Language, Culture, Identity, and Education Language, Culture, and Identity Issues Across Nations, Suzanne Romaine Language Policies and Language Education in Francophone Africa: A Critique and a Call to Action, Hassana Alidou Language Education Policy in Multi-Ethnic Malaysia, Saran Kaur Gill Part Eight: Religion, Culture, Identity, and Education Cultural Diversity, Muslims, and Education in France and England: Two Contrasting Models in Western Europe, Nasar Meer, Valerie Sala Pala, Tariq Modood, and Patrick Simon Religion, Culture, Language, and Education in India, Reva Joshee and Karen Sihra Islamic Religious Education and Muslim Religiosity in Singapore, Mukhlis Abu Bakar Religion, Ethnicity, and Identity in Indonesian Education, Joel C. Kuipers and Ella Yulaelawati Part Nine: The Education of Ethnic and Cultural Minority Groups in Europe Migrant Minority Groups in Germany: Success and Failure in Education, Sigrid Luchtenberg The Education of Ethnic, Racial, and Cultural Minority Groups in Spain, Teresa Aguado Ethnic and Cultural Groups and Educational Policies in Russia, Isak D. Froumin and Andrei Zakharov Part Ten: The Education of Ethnic and Cultural Minority Groups in Asia and Latin America The Education of Ethnic Minority Groups in China, Gerard A. Postiglione Social Inequality as a Barrier to Multicultural Education in Latin America, Martin Carnoy Achieving Quality Education for Indigenous Peoples and Blacks in Brazil, Petronilha Beatriz Goncalves e Silva and Sonia Stella Araujo-Olivera The Education of Ethnic Minority Groups in Mexico, Sonia Stella Araujo-Olivera and Petronilha Beatriz Goncalves e Silva.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume is the first authoritative reference work to provide a truly comprehensive international description and analysis of multicultural education around the world. It is organized around key concepts and uses case studies from various nations in different parts of the world to exemplify and illustrate the concepts. Case studies are from many nations, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Norway, Bulgaria, Russia, South Africa, Japan, China, India, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brazil, and Mexico. Two chapters focus on regions - Latin America and the French -speaking nations in Africa.The book is divided into ten sections, covering theory and research pertaining to curriculum reform, immigration and citizenship, language, religion, and the education of ethnic and cultural minority groups among other topics. With 40 newly commissioned pieces written by a prestigious group of internationally renowned scholars, "The Routledge International Companion to Multicultural Education" provides the definitive statement on the state of multicultural education and on its possibilities for the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by James A. Banks.
- Routledge international handbook series