Helping at-risk students : a group counseling approach for grades 6-9
- Waterman, Jill, 1945-
- English, Spanish. In English, with sample materials in Spanish.
- 2nd ed. - New York : Guilford Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 272 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
LB1027.5 .W29 2009
- Unknown LB1027.5 .W29 2009
- Walker, Elizabeth, 1973-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 267) and index.
- Guidelines for Setting Up and Leading Groups. Goals of the Program. Getting Started. Group Counseling Techniques. Dilemmas for Group Leaders. The SPARK Curriculum. Overview of Module Content. Recruitment Criteria. Module One: Trust Building and Content. Recruitment Criteria. Module One: Trust Building and Communication Skills. Module Two: Anger Management and Problem-Solving Skills. Module Three: Ethnic Identity and Anti-Prejudice. Module Four: Educational Aspirations. Module Five: Peer Pressure and Gangs. Module Six: Exposure to Violence and Posttraumatic Stress Reactions. Module Seven: Family Relationships. Termination Session: The Party. Effectiveness of SPARK Groups. Characteristics of Participating Group Members. Outcomes of the Groups. Summary and Conclusions. Appendices: A. Sample Materials for Beginning Groups. B. Curriculum Materials and Handouts. C. Sample Materials in Spanish for Beginning Groups. D. Curriculum Materials and Handouts in Spanish.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Engaging, activity based, and effective, this widely used group counseling curriculum is designed for flexible implementation in school or clinical settings. The program helps youth build skills for school success and social-emotional growth while exploring such crucial topics as personal goals, ethnic identity and prejudice, peer pressure, violence prevention, and family relationships. Featured are three dozen reproducible handouts and forms/m-/plus Spanish-language versions of all of the handouts/m-/in a large-size format with lay-flat binding for ease of use. The second edition has been revised and expanded to incorporate new findings and field-tested strategies. It includes a new module on male/n-/female relationships; new sessions on emotion regulation, communication, and relational aggression; strategies for whole-class implementation; and, many new or revised reproducibles.New to this edition: revised and expanded to incorporate new findings and field-tested strategies; new module on male/n-/female relationships; new sessions on emotion regulation, communication, and relational aggression; strategies for whole-class implementation have been added; and, 15 of the 36 reproducibles are new or revised.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jill Waterman, Elizabeth Walker.