Multicultural children's literature : through the eyes of many children
- Norton, Donna E.
- 3rd ed.
- Boston : Allyn & Bacon/Pearson, c2009.
- Physical description
- x, 374 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
PS153 .M56 N675 2009
- Unknown PS153 .M56 N675 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- 1. Introduction to Multicultural Literature Developing a Study of Multicultural Literature Availability of High Quality Multicultural Literature 2. African American Literature Issues Related to African American Literature Changing Availability of Quality Literature Authors Who Write and Illustrate African American Literature Traditional Literature Historical Nonfiction and Fiction African American Poetry Involving Children with African American Literature 3. Native American Literature Authors Who Write and Illustrate Native American Literature Issues Related to Native American Literature Traditional Literature Historical Nonfiction and Fiction Native American Poetry Contemporary Realistic Fiction Nonfiction Informational Books Involving Children with Native American Literature 4. Latino Literature Historical Perspectives Authors Who Write and Illustrate Latino Literature Values in Latino Culture Folklore Historical Nonfiction and Fiction Contemporary Realistic Fiction and Nonfiction Involving Children with Latino Literature 5. Asian Literature Values That Are Part of the Cultures Concerns Over Stereotypes in Literature from the Past Asian Folklore Early History of the People and the Culture Poetry Contemporary Literature with Asian Roots Involving Children with Asian Literature Visualizing Chinese Art Writing Connections with Asian Literature 6. Jewish Literature What Does It Mean to Be Jewish? Folklore and Ancient Stories of the Jewish People Early History of the Jewish People Applying Knowledge Gained About Jewish Folklore Years of Emigration and Immigration The Holocaust in Children's and Young Adult Literature Jewish Poetry Contemporary Jewish Literature Involving Children with Jewish Literature 7. Middle Eastern Literature Historical Perspectives Authors Who Write and Illustrate Middle Eastern Literature Values Identified in the Culture and Literature Folklore and Ancient Stories from the Middle East Early History Contemporary Literature with Middle Eastern Roots Involving Children with Middle Eastern Literature Visualizing Middle Eastern Art Writing Connections with Middle Eastern Literature.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book includes both a large source for and section on how to use multicultural literature with students, as well as the latest in research and issues related to the topic. The materials noted in the book are both authentic and non-stereotyped. The book develops techniques that encourage higher thought processes, helping adults evaluate literature to determine authenticity and an understanding of the various cultures.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- American literature > Minority authors > History and criticism.
- Minorities > United States > Intellectual life > Study and teaching.
- Minorities in literature > Study and teaching > United States.
- American literature > Minority authors > Study and teaching.
- Children's literature, American > History and criticism.
- Children's literature, American > Study and teaching.
- Children > Books and reading > United States.
- Children of minorities > Books and reading.
- Cultural pluralism in literature.
- Ethnic groups in literature.
- Minorities in literature.
- Ethnicity in literature.
- Publication date
- Donna E. Norton.