Diagnostic literacy assessments and instructional strategies : a literacy specialist's resource
- McAndrews, Stephanie L., 1964-
- Newark, DE : International Reading Association, c2008.
- Physical description
- xviii, 350 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LB1576 .M39716 2008
- Unknown LB1576 .M39716 2008
- International Reading Association.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 333-340) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Research shows that specific programs do not improve reading and writing - the most impact is made by the decision-making process of the literacy professionals who use assessment to drive language, reading, and writing instruction. "Diagnostic Literacy Assessments and Instructional Strategies: A Literacy Specialist's Resource" can provide literacy specialists and classroom teachers with all you need to become the effective decision makers for your K-8 students. Author Stephanie L. McAndrews walks you step by step through research-based, classroom-tested assessments and strategies centered on the following crucial topics: Language and Vocabulary Development; Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Word Identification, and Emergent Text Concepts; Oral Reading and Fluency; Reading and Listening Comprehension; Emergent Writing and Writing Composition; and, Attitudes and Motivation. To help you choose the right assessment for each student's needs, an extensive appendix contains two matrixes that show the assessments' related literacy processes and purposes. The appendix also contains reproducible copies of numerous assessments and tools necessary for implementing some strategies. Of course not every assessment or strategy is appropriate for every student, but this comprehensive resource provides a range of indispensable tools to help you make appropriate assessment and instructional decisions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Stephanie L. McAndrews.