Relativistic figures of equilibrium
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- ix, 218 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
QB410 .R45 2008
- Unknown QB410 .R45 2008
- Meinel, Reinhard.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 208-215) and index.
- Preface-- Notation-- 1. Rotating fluid bodies in equilibrium: fundamental notions and equations-- 2. Analytical treatment of limiting cases-- 3. Numerical treatment of the general case-- 4. Remarks on stability and astrophysical relevance-- Appendixes-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In recent years, the study of neutron stars and black holes has become increasingly important, and rigorous mathematical analysis needs to be applied in order to understand their basic physics. This book treats the classical problem of gravitational physics within Einstein's theory of general relativity. It presents basic principles and equations needed to describe rotating fluid bodies, as well as black holes in equilibrium. It then goes on to deal with a number of analytically tractable limiting cases, placing particular emphasis on the rigidly rotating disc of dust. The book concludes by considering the general case using powerful numerical methods that are applied to various models, including the classical example of equilibrium figures of constant density. Researchers in general relativity, mathematical physics, and astrophysics will find this a valuable reference book on the topic. A related website containing codes for calculating various figures of equilibrium is available at www.cambridge.org/9780521863834.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Reinhard Meinel ... [et al.].